Menu

What Lit do you like - how best to spend my money-

I got a killer deal on Human Odyssey (with all the extra texts you could ever dream of). I originally planned to do Smarr next year (sophomore year), along with it, but have read lots of posts on this board that suggest Smarr is not that rigorous. I am not getting TOG next year (l love TOG, but already have this great history planned), so I need something good for lit. Omnibus? I want something to compliment HO. Thoughts?

We use ideas from the lists in The Well Trained Mind and The Well Educated Mind, plus ideas from the lists in Sonlight (historical ficiton) and Ambleside (essays, speeches, living history documents), to pick literature to complement our use of Spielvogel's Human Odyssey. Then I look for lit. guides to accompany the works. Here's what last year's ancients looked like:

1. Epic of Gilgamesh -- SMARR guide (guide was disappointing)

2. Mesopotamian myths -- no guide

For both the above, we used "Gilgamesh & Other Babylonian Tales", an abridged version of the epic by Westwood. Wish we had used the free online Sparknotes lit. guide instead of the disappointing SMARR guide.

3. The Iliad (Fagles translation) -- Novel Unit guide (guide was "okay")

4. The Odyssey (Fagles transtlation) -- Garlic Press publishers guide (FABULOUS guide!)

5. various Greek myths -- no guide

We used vol. 3 ("Myths and Legends") of the old Collier publishers series "The Junior Classics"; the versions of the myths were by by Thomas Bulfinch, WML Hutchinson, Charles Kingsley, Elsie Finnimore Buckley, and Nathaniel Hawthorne.

6. Oedipus the King (Fitzgerald translation) -- Sparknotes guide

7. Antigone (Fitzgerald translation) -- Sparknotes guide

(Wish we'd also had time for the middle play of the Oedipus cycle, Oedipus at Colonus)

8. The Aeneid ("The Aeneid for Boys and Girls", abridged prose version by Alfred Church) -- Sparknotes guide

9. Till We Have Faces (CS Lewis) -- no guide

The boys also read some historical fiction on their own from the Sonlight 6 list and others:

- The Golden Goblet (ancient Egypt)

- Shadow Hawk (ancient Egypt)

- God King (ancient Egypt)

- Hittite Warrior (ancient Hittite/Israel)

- Archimedes and the Door to Science (ancient Greece; non-fiction)

- Ides of April (ancient Rome)

- Eagle of the Ninth (ancient Rome/ancient Britain)

A different solution might be an "all in one" resource for companion readings might be "World Literature Readings", which are keyed to History Odyssey. Author: Marilyn Hitchens. ISBN: 0314140948

Here are some resources that could be used with Spielvogel's Western Civ:

- Kishlansky's "Sources in World History"

- Discovering the Western Past

- World Civilizations Sources, Images, and Interpretations

- Reading About the World

While not familiar with it here, I have heard great things about Omnibus! BEST of luck in finding what works best for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added info

so take my advice with a grain of salt. Actually, my oldest homeschooled student is in 8th grade, but we used Smarr's ancient lit this year. I don't like it. I think his questions are basic comprehension questions. No literary analysis whatsoever. We are continuing with the literature selections, but have completely ditched the course. For the remainder of this year, I am using How to Study Literature by Benjamin A. Heydrick. That way I can continue with the literature selections we have, which I do want to study, but with more in depth analysis than Smarr provides.

Did I mention, I don't like Smarr?

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Kim

Its crazy, here is a list of additional texts in the lot: Planning Guide, Guided Readings, Section Quizzes with answer key, Reteaching Activities, Charting Skills Activities, Bilingual Section and Chapter Summaries, Performance Assessment Activities, Chapter Tests adn Final Exam with answer key,Cooperative Learning Activities, Enrichment Activities AND Critical Thinking Activities!

I am exhausted.

Its crazy, here is a list of additional texts in the lot: Planning Guide, Guided Readings, Section Quizzes with answer key, Reteaching Activities, Charting Skills Activities, Bilingual Section and Chapter Summaries, Performance Assessment Activities, Chapter Tests adn Final Exam with answer key,Cooperative Learning Activities, Enrichment Activities AND Critical Thinking Activities!

I am exhausted.

Wow!