Menu

AOPS Physics - Opinions?

We have a 9th grader and I'm considering AOPS Physics online classes (both of them).   DH should be teaching her Physics, but it isn't getting done.  We adore the AOPS Math, and DD is finishing up their Intro to Algebra book, and will be taking the online Intro to Geometry online starting in Oct.  I thought we'd wait until DD hits a groove with Geometry and then sign her up for the first (12-week) Physics class.  

In the past she did the Funda-Funda Python, and is doing the Self-Paced Computer Applications class now

Anyone's kids take that class?   Opinions?

Edited by shawthorne44

Do you mean the AOPS online Intro to Physics course? Kiddo just completed it. It was easy and lots of fun. You had to do some experiments and recorded them. Mine has a box of physics tools from HST but you can just use items from around the house. Some experiments are virtual/interactive. I heard it is a big jump from this course to Intro to Mechanics (AP course) though. 

• Like 1

From the intro to mechanics course page: 

Students who have completed a typical algebra course or our Introduction to Algebra A are ready for Physics 1: Mechanics. This course does not require previous physics experience, though we recommend Introduction to Physics for students looking to build their foundation in physics thinking

If they can pass the "Are You Ready" test, they can start with mechanics

• Like 1

I always want to know the end of stories.  So, this was the result.  DH is genuinely going to make sure Physics gets done.   
Having this as an option made the conversation go so much better.   I suspect this is typical in marriages.  

Before we had this conversation multiple times:  
Me, "Honey, you really need to do Physics with daughter."   
DH, "(in put-upon voice) Yeah, yeah, I'll do better."   

This time:

Me, "Don't get defensive.   I have a solution.   Since Physics isn't getting done, why don't we enroll daughter in the AOPS Physics class?"   Then I proceeded to tell him about the class, and the timing problems.    

DH, "How much will that cost?  ...   OK, I'll get it done."   

I believe him this time, where I never believed him before.  But it is an option.  

Edited by shawthorne44
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2023 at 8:58 AM, shawthorne44 said:

I always to know the end of stories.  So, this was the result.  DH is genuinely going to make sure Physics gets done.   
Having this as an option made the conversation go so much better.   I suspect this is typical in marriages.  

Before we had this conversation multiple times:  
Me, "Honey, you really need to do Physics with daughter."   
DH, "(in put-upon voice) Yeah, yeah, I'll do better."   

This time:

Me, "Don't get defensive.   I have a solution.   Since Physics isn't getting done, why don't we enroll daughter in the AOPS Physics class?"   Then I proceeded to tell him about the class, and the timing problems.    

DH, "How much will that cost?  ...   OK, I'll get it done."   

I believe him this time, where I never believed him before.  But it is an option.  

Sounds like the same conversation I had with my dh. Except it was about swimming.

Is Physics getting done? 😃

You know what, it is.  I'm a little more involved than I'd rather. but really all I do is to remind her to "Do Science" and also give her the test.  He goes over the test with her, and the other stuff.   We had gotten a textbook that came with a matching exam creator CD.   So, I make up the end of chapter exams too, and I enjoy that.  

• Like 1