Menu

Beast Academy recently released their first science book

Malam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So we started Beast Academy Science this week. We read through the introduction (which is in the same comic book style as the math books), and then completed the first lab (see PDF). I really thought it was an engaging way to introduce the scientific method, specifically making a prediction / coming up with a hypothesis. I did add some additional information on the scientific method so I could connect that more strongly with what we were doing. The activity was fun, and my DS(8) enjoyed it, especially trying it with different types of balls. The questions were a good way to guide the discussion and encouraged thinking more deeply about the problem.

The first four chapters all seem to be well thought out and include some interesting activities. But I think the real "star" here are the questions, which really help to think a bit more about what you are doing in the activity. It looks like later chapters have less hands-on activities, so I may see DS's interest wane as we get there. I'll try and remember to follow up with more information when we get there.

Now, all of this being said, we have been prior to this year doing a combination of Evan Moor's Daily Science workbook with Mystery Science videos (as they tie into the topic in our Evan moor workbook) and additional picture book resources, like Let's Read and Find Out. And THAT went really well, honestly - at this point, I wouldn't go so far as to say that Beast Academy science is much better than what we were already doing. In a lot of ways, the Evan moor workbook is much easier since you don't have to do any additional activities (unless you want to - there are usually some suggested in the teacher's book), but in at least this first unit for Beast Academy you would definitely want to do the activities and not skip them (it's a big part of what you are doing). So if that isn't what you want to do, I wouldn't recommend it.

BAPage.pdf

Edited by keirin
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, keirin said:

Now, all of this being said, we have been prior to this year doing a combination of Evan Moor's Daily Science workbook with Mystery Science videos (as they tie into the topic in our Evan moor workbook) and additional picture book resources, like Let's Read and Find Out. And THAT went really well, honestly - at this point, I wouldn't go so far as to say that Beast Academy science is much better than what we were already doing.

That's good to know, because that is what we are also Mystery Science plus Daily Science (I need "work samples"). We also have Kiwi crate, a science museum nearby, and Scientific Connections Through Inquiry for hands-on stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

We've been doing Beast Academy Science for a month and will probably quit using it. My youngest has been using Beast Math for almost three years and my eldest did AOPS classes in Intro and Int. Number Theory, Counting and Probability, and Math Contest prep classes, so we love AOPS! I was excited about it because we do these major science deep dives once every other week and since my son loves science I thought it would be nice to have something he could do himself on off days.

While I think Beast Academy Science is a great addition to homeschool science curriculum options as it 1. covers grade level science standards in a deeper way 2. is open and go and 3. can largely be done by the child independently, it was not a fit for us.

Why? Mainly because we have done BFSU for three years and are already in the second book. Because of that my son complained that it was too easy. 

That being said, BFSU takes a LOT of planning. And honestly I'm not sure that I would even be able to teach some of the units without a major time commitment if it weren't for the fact that my husband has a degree in Physics and Mech-E. So is it doable for everyone? Yes, but only if everyone had tons of time. 

We haven't used Scientific Connections through Inquiry, though I know it follows BFSU so I'm guessing kids who have used it for a couple of years might feel the same about Beast.

But I think Beast Science fills a real need that isn't being filled (I often see homeschoolers complain they don't really get around to science - like me with art!) and your child will be far better prepared than public school (and probably even most private school) students for whatever upper level science classes they take. My daughter went through regular public school and since she was always reading and watching science videos in her free time, she didn't reach any new science info until high school.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, quietgarden said:

Why? Mainly because we have done BFSU for three years and are already in the second book. Because of that my son complained that it was too easy. 

That being said, BFSU takes a LOT of planning. And honestly I'm not sure that I would even be able to teach some of the units without a major time commitment if it weren't for the fact that my husband has a degree in Physics and Mech-E. So is it doable for everyone? Yes, but only if everyone had tons of time. 

Interesting! I lived BFSU, and I spent a lot of time prepping for it, so I know exactly what you mean. I also stopped recommending it because I didn't see people willing to put in that kind of time. Perhaps Best Academy Science will work for people that can't seem to make time for science. Thanks for the review.

• Like 2