Menu

Does the guidance counselor recommendation link not show up until the student finishes their side (Common App)?

cintinative

I didn't get any response to my other question, but maybe someone knows the answer to this one.

On my guidance counselor side there is no link on the left for recommendation but on the screenshots I have seen it should be below the school profile.  

ETA:  Answer I got from the Common App folks in case someone else is having this problem:

"Thank you for your patience as we have looked into this issue. None of the student's colleges requires the Counselor's Recommendation. Until the student adds a college that requires one, the recommendation will not populate. We are planning to remove the scenario in the near future, so you may see the recommendation section re-populate in the near future."

and additional info because I asked if this would affect other optional recommender submissions: "This is only regarding the Counselor Role. All other roles will operate as normal. and as I said, we are rolling back this update so if you wait a little bit, the recommendation will repopulate on your account soon. Please let me know if you have any other questions."

Edited by cintinative

45 minutes ago, daijobu said:

Did your student name you as his/her counselor who will provide the recommendation?  I believe that needs to happen first, before you submit.  

He invited me as his counselor. I don't see an additional place to invite me as a recommender. I would have thought that would have come through as well?

I have all the counselor side except the recommendation. When I log in to his account it shows I haven't started his recommendation, but there is no place for it.  This is what my side screen looks like.

image.png.6b2a5bcc025db0a3b96cf44b5b269b2c.png

43 minutes ago, Farrar said:

The guidance counselor portal IS the place where the recommendation letter goes. He doesn't do it again. You already have it there. Do the basic school details first and then you'll be able to access your student and do the parts for him.

I did all the school details except for uploading the school profile and transcript. Do I need to upload those first in order for the recommendation link to show up?

ETA: 

I tried uploading the transcript and the recommender link did not appear.

Edited by cintinative

I don't have my dummy app open right now so I don't remember exactly, but there are two whole parts... have you clicked your student's name? Because there's the information about your account and then there's the information about your student.

3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I don't have my dummy app open right now so I don't remember exactly, but there are two whole parts... have you clicked your student's name? Because there's the information about your account and then there's the information about your student.

Yes, all of this is under his name.  Also, all of the items that are more generic under "profile" are done. I haven't finished his specific items, namely uploading the transcript, course descriptions and school profile. Other than that, my part of his is done.  

I just messaged Common App. Google is not helping me with this one. It is almost all done on my son's end too--he just needs to input his essays. 

Edited by cintinative

23 minutes ago, Farrar said:

See the stuff all the way on the left? You did the profile already, right? I know that has to be done first.

I think maybe you have to finish the school report first?

I finished the profile on the far left. 

Just for kicks I uploaded the transcript and school profile in the two transcript slots I requested. I plan to upload course descriptions so I still need to do that.  Anyway, the only option I am left with now is to submit it.  Are you saying I have to submit it before I provide a recommendation? That seems weird?  ETA: that does not make sense given the screenshots I am seeing elsewhere. Hopefully the common app people will respond.

Edited by cintinative

Update with response from Common App:

"Thank you for your patience as we have looked into this issue. None of the student's colleges requires the Counselor's Recommendation. Until the student adds a college that requires one, the recommendation will not populate. We are planning to remove the scenario in the near future, so you may see the recommendation section re-populate in the near future."

and additional info because I asked if this would affect other optional recommender submissions: "This is only regarding the Counselor Role. All other roles will operate as normal. and as I said, we are rolling back this update so if you wait a little bit, the recommendation will repopulate on your account soon. Please let me know if you have any other questions."

17 hours ago, cintinative said:

I was able to remove it. 🙂 

Thanks for reporting this.  I was wondering if there had been a change because some years ago when I completed the CA, I uploaded and re-uploaded my documents multiple multiple multiple times because I was unhappy with the appear of the documents, and I adjusted the margins to prevent the "shrinkage" in my PDFs.  

I also agree that the customer service at CA used to be quite responsive; I would receive a response within a few hours.