Menu

American Music History course

Last year we did a home-made course on American Music History, simultaneously with American history and American literature. I built it around this book, plus YouTube videos and documentaries: 

Songs of America: Patriotism, Protest, and the Music That Made a Nation https://a.co/d/1hMf86f

I mention it because of the thread on that controversial song, "In a Small Town." It was a pleasure to be able to hear DD15 put that contemporary song in a historical context and analyze it. Shades of "Okie from Muskogee," no?

DD read the book a chapter at a time, loosely aligned to her American history texts, and watched/listened to all the songs the text mentioned on YouTube. At the end, she chose three songs to learn on her guitar, wrote a short history talk on each one, made a slide show, and performed them for a small audience of relatives. 

The book includes a few songs that raise hackles, but I think they were important to discuss. The overall tone of the book was positive and hopeful about US culture, not jaded, complacent or triumphant.

If anybody wants my resource lists, I will share. 

• Like 6

Ok!  Here's a link to the youtube list I made.  Obviously some videos have or will have come down over time, so it's not complete anymore. Be aware: if you go looking for a few of these songs on the internet, i.e. Dixie, you can find some weird stuff really quickly.  

And, here's a PDF of the course description I wrote for myself.  It has a complete song list, in case youtube dumps a lot of my choices.  It has the documentaries listed, too.

The kid was learning acoustic guitar and was able to play and sing.

Also, please be advised that not all of these songs and documentaries would be appropriate for every kid.  Mine watched the music video "F*** the Police" and discussed it with me.  Your mileage may vary.  😛 

Can you tell I overthought this?  

American Music History.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This looks amazing. Thank you. I asked my son if he would be interested in this as a class and he is more excited for this than he is for any of his other classes. I'm going to order the book tonight so I can try to get the chapters lined up with the history book we are using. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...