Menu

Soy wax...clean.... or not so clean??

ProudGrandma

I hear that soy wax for candles is a clean wax...free from harmful things... but then I read that is not true. So what do you guys think... know about the subject?

I am toying with learning how to make wax melts... and from the little I have researched so far,  soy wax works the best.... and now I am torn as to whether this is as not harmful to our health as I first thought.

Or maybe I am over thinking it. 

Please share your thoughts and insights into the topic.

Thanks. 

27 minutes ago, Kidlit said:

Soy candles make my eyes burn, to the point that I avoid them.  That's all I know about the subject. 

and from what I have researched the candle that made your eyes burn might not have been 100% soy....but some sort of soy blend.  I read that a candle only has to be 51% soy to be called soy...the rest can be nearly anything...and most likely a paraffin...thus causing your eyes to burn.  I can't say that for sure....but that would be my guess. 

This is why it's hard for me because you have to know your topic...know the science and then ultimately know your source....and since I am just beginning I know very little...but my knowledge is growing....which is kind nice...but frustrating all at the same time.  

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

and from what I have researched the candle that made your eyes burn might not have been 100% soy....but some sort of soy blend.  I read that a candle only has to be 51% soy to be called soy...the rest can be nearly anything...and most likely a paraffin...thus causing your eyes to burn.  I can't say that for sure....but that would be my guess. 

This is why it's hard for me because you have to know your topic...know the science and then ultimately know your source....and since I am just beginning I know very little...but my knowledge is growing....which is kind nice...but frustrating all at the same time.  

Thanks! I have learned something!  

32 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I've read that a lot of the issues with candles is from the wick. Which of course isn't an issue with a wax melt. If that was true or not, I can't swear. 

it is a problem....but I am not sure what......but also there is a problem with soot coming from the wick....so there's that.  

Soy wax gives me respiratory problems. Even when it is just melted in those wax-melter things.  I've tested this and I know it is the wax, not the fragrance, and (obviously in this case) not the wick.  

You might look into using beeswax. It burns (and melts) clean. You can get beeswax granules from craft stores and beekeepers often sell it in granules or blocks. I found this by searching the internet for beeswax candles. Someone on this board recommended a monastery as a candle supplier (search "beeswax candles monastery Manton) and that is where I get my candles now. I don't know if they sell just the plain beeswax but their bulk candle prices are much lower than I can find in "regular" stores.  

• Like 1