Menu

Varicose Veins Vascular Surgeon

amyx4

In the fall I was sent to a vascular surgeon. I wrote down that he suggested "endovenous therapy" I've done the stockings and elevating, etc.  It's still about the same amount of achiness now as it was in the fall. I'm a super wimp about any medical procedures. I'm considering have it done........I searched the boards and there is a thread from 2016 that was helpful.  If anyone has any recent updates I would really appreciate if you shared. Thanks!

I had venous ablations done about a year ago. I had a lot of swelling and the skin on my lower legs was becoming discolored from the pooling blood. It looked like a had a sunburn. Regular socks were never loose enough and I had terrible "sock lines" at the band, and they became painful.

Anyway, I wore compression socks for a while and they helped but didn't resolve anything so I had the ablation done. It was not horrible at all. Really more tedious than anything - the prep and the procedure took a long time but it was not painful. They did only one leg at a time so double the tedium! I still wear compression socks most of the time - I find them very comfortable - but can wear "regular" crew socks, or no-show socks with sneakers, or no socks at all, without swelling. The discoloration is fading, though they said it might never go away completely. I do have some ugly spider veins that are still visible, because that is a cosmetic procedure and not covered by my insurance. But not having the swelling, redness and pain are good enough for me. 

Before the procedure, I couldn't enjoy long hikes because even though I was walking, my ankles/feet would swell and my socks would dig into my skin. Now, I can hike all day. I do wear compression when hiking, but have also walked miles in the city wearing no-shows and cute sneakers with no problems. So, I'm glad I did it.

• Like 1

I've had more venous procedures done than I want to admit for my age, the last one just 3 weeks ago. But it wasn't an endovenous procedure (which I may have had in the past) and I will have to ask why I had a micro ambulatory phlebectomy rather than what you are having. (If endovenous is the same as a laser, she had said it wasn't for me this time. ) VV run in my family, so they will keep coming back for me. If it runs in your family, you will have to get used to the veins, sorry!  I just know that my incisions were only a mm or 2, rather than 1 cm, as in the past, pleasantly surprised.  No stitches, just steri-strips covered with Coban (ace bandage), removed after 24 hours.  Also, I had to wear my stocking for 3 days, night and day, before taking them off to shower, and wear daily now for at least 6 weeks.  Dr. also recommended using Arnica gel for bruising, which I apply 2x a day. 

Make sure you go over your post-procedure well before hand.  I feel that part got glossed over. Surprisingly, I needed no antibiotics as in the past and had no problem.  But the sheet said to take 3-4 tablets 3x a day of Motrin for 7-10 days.  Or Aleve 2 tablets, 2x a day for 7-10 days to help with inflammation. (Maybe your procedure won't have as much inflammation).  Anyway, I wasn't that uncomfortable, I only took tablets for 1 day.  But I felt like the amount suggested was a lot,  I usually opt for more natural supplements.  So I didn't take anything after that and wonder if its just needed for comfort, or if it would have had some other benefit.  I didn't feel like there was much swelling. But take for 7-10 days? That's a lot. Not sure why!  So yeah, if you can go over post-care before the procedure when you have time to think through questions, do that. 

After the procedure, they put my stocking on me using this aide: https://www.amazon.com/Original-Doff-Donner-Sleeve/dp/B00AWDRP62/ref=sr_1_3?crid=KD72WMGK8N2A&keywords=doff+n+donner+compression+socks+aid&qid=1685481588&sprefix=duff+n+do%2Caps%2C228&sr=8-3

Woah, what a game changer!  It may take time to learn how to use it but I'm ordering 1!

Also, put up some freezer meals for you and your family ahead of time, so even once you are up and around, you won't have to be on your feet much for at least the first week.  Hope all goes well, and please update us with your experience. I have to agree, this is one topic that is hard to find information on.  It's nice to get other's opinions for sure.