Menu

Math Facts and Math Remediation for a fifth grader in school

Foofaraw

No, but I have used that program and I think it’s good.  And I’ve worked with an older child on math facts.

Here is my opinion.  

Hopefully the child will pick it up fast.  

But when a child has gotten to an older age, there can be more of a chance it’s going to be a hard process.  

I think then expect it to take longer.  Maybe expect to mix it up more with different kinds of activities or whatever.  Maybe even expect to go slower and introduce fewer facts at a time and spend more time reviewing before moving on.  

• Like 1

I don’t yet know where she is on math facts, but she has an IEP for math which includes referencing a multiplication table. Her IQ is probably on the lower side, but not low enough where she’s disabled. Her speaking is a bit slow, but she’s been hampered by the elementary school curricula (see Sold a Story for reference). She’s tired of being pulled out of content classes for tutoring with little kids, and she seems determined to be more capable.

We are on vacation at the moment, but I hope to evaluate where she is in math in a couple weeks and work with her all summer on her reading fluency and math facts. I think math facts will be the biggest bang for her buck this Summer, wherever she is.

Thank You @Lecka for the words of advice. 

• Like 1

I've remediated 2 kids who did not know the multiplication tables at age 14, which caused quite a bit of struggle in algebra. Both were dyslexic. The key seems to be parent/teacher involvement with making plans, checking up on progress, encouraging, keeping a chart of progress etc.  Took these kids about 3 months of daily work with regular checking up, encouraging, and tracking progress.

• Like 1