Menu

One Small Square Series

Have you tried any of these from the library? Some people just love them. My dc, when they were about 6 or 7, had zero interest in these books -- biodiversity not being a big interest at the time. We did read lots of stories about, both about individual animals and about habitats, and we saw some excellent nature documentaries. I only mention this becuse I often see the OSS books recommended for quite young children (as in WP) -- but YMMV (your mileage may vary).

I'm using them with a 6yo (1st grade) and 9.5yo (4th grade). We take about a month for each book. As we read a few pages, the children pick something that interested them and they notebook on it.

Here's an example. We read the One Small Square: Grasslands and my 6yo did notebooking pages on termite mounds, zebras, migration, etc. My 9.5yo did notebooking pages on symbiosis, the acutal grass of the grassland & incroachment by foreign grasses & domestic cattle, estivation, etc.

We love this series and are having a great year.