Menu

Math With Confidence 2

Nm.

Here are a few random thoughts.

Math facts that stick would be redundant with math with confidence, if you use the teacher book. The games and drill are all in the lessons. It's great!;) (I have facts that stick and have used them alongside RightStart math for the older 2 so I'm familiar with the books;)

My son is on lesson 22.4 today. (That's week 22 day 4. There are only 4 lessons a week in 1st grade. We have not done any optional day 4 enrichment lessons.)

He can fluently add all addition facts up to 10+10 pretty much in his head. (And the related subtraction facts with the whole under 10.) That has been really the main focus this year.)Though he sometimes still gets out an AL abacus. Last night he even figured out that 100+100 would be 200. That's not in his math yet at all and tells me that he gets placevalue.

(I don't really use her double 10 frame. I have 3 abacuses or abacii? From Rightstart so we use those ...faster and no little parts for baby to eat ....It's really the same thing. I also do some of her counting warm ups on the abacus instead of the 100 chart....more like RightStart does....  I think that's all I change;) otherwise I do the lessons pretty much as scripted. It's easy for me that way;)

This boy likes math and says he's good at it. A double win for a boy who couldn't remember what 10 was(you know all his fingers;) untill like Christmas last year. He used RightStart A last year and did very well with it. Math with confidence 1 has been lots of review of RightStart A (rightstart a is accelerated more than math with confidence but both get to algebra in 8th eventually...so I don't care. Rightstart had more side trips and geometry). This boy is really mastering math in a step by step way. 

I love the sprial review coupled with mastery new topics introduced.

Here is what the rest of the year has.

More practice with addition facts to 20,

Introduction and practice with -6, -7, -8 subtraction facts

Mental math with 2 digit numbers like adding a 1 digit number to a 2 digit number mentally and others like 28+10, 33+4, 38+__=40, 37-3, 44-20

O I also love the end of chapter checkpoints. These say things like. what to expect by the end of unit 8, is your child ready to move on, and what to do of your child needs more practice. I could send you a picture of one maybe.... You might be able to use these pages to start your daughter partway through grade 1? 

I have used lots of Rightstart with my kids (it's really my personal favorite;) I think like Joan cotter....some math mammoth ( 1 son used it to review fractions percents and decimals this year and a bit last year, but it's a bad fit for him for a main math program. Another daughter switched to math mammoth 4this year from Rightstart E and loves it. Particularly the newfound greater independence. And some math with confidence. Namely part of k, most of 1 now and tried pilot testing 3. (I can't pilot test. Printing drove me nuts and so did having to have Facebook....)

• Like 1

You could try that. You'd be missing the game boards though. They are in the student book. There may be printable one on the well trained mind site though....and they are at least very similar to the facts that stick ones. 

Also another consideration is the book is like 11$ from rainbow resource https://www.rainbowresource.com/category/4037/First-Grade-Math-with-Confidence.html

Or give it to somebody to "play school" with;) it's like 6$.... 

There is a gentle k book that does a great job of teaching number formation and basic numbers....I haven't used all of it we mostly used RightStart a....but it is good. 

You could use k for the little one then as much of leftover 1 as you get to if k goes fast. Then start back over in the fall with 1 for review.. 

Me- reading this thread and thinking I need to go look again.  I bought KMWC and didn't really care for it.  I ended up with the new Primary Mathematics Kindergarten books and really liked them.  I'm going to have her finish the MWK workbook just because she loves worksheets.  Haven't made any decisions for sure on 1st grade, but got Saxon 1 (worksheets!) And I'm sure I'll end up with at least one more 1st grade math.  This kid tends to do multiple worksheets a day.  Its her choice, but I end up running out and looking for more things to do.  I don't want to move too fast in regard to topics.  If I buy 2 or 3 programs,  we can skip around and switch as needed. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

Me- reading this thread and thinking I need to go look again.  I bought KMWC and didn't really care for it.  I ended up with the new Primary Mathematics Kindergarten books and really liked them.  I'm going to have her finish the MWK workbook just because she loves worksheets.  Haven't made any decisions for sure on 1st grade, but got Saxon 1 (worksheets!) And I'm sure I'll end up with at least one more 1st grade math.  This kid tends to do multiple worksheets a day.  Its her choice, but I end up running out and looking for more things to do.  I don't want to move too fast in regard to topics.  If I buy 2 or 3 programs,  we can skip around and switch as needed. 

Reading this and wondering whether I should do Singapore Kindergarten or Singapore 1 next year for my preschooler who is going to complete KMWC. 

1) MWC K is a bit more work from me than my daughter really needs and I can't spend that much hands-on one on one time between teaching my son and my daughter. I prefer teaching from Singapore (both use/teach similar things) I just don't need so much hand holding and we review math naturally in our house so I don't need the built-in review.

2) I go through a charter so Singapore is free for me and MWC isn't (they don't have enough levels out for the school to stock it). 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 4:45 PM, Clarita said:

1) MWC K is a bit more work from me than my daughter really needs and I can't spend that much hands-on one on one time between teaching my son and my daughter. I prefer teaching from Singapore (both use/teach similar things) I just don't need so much hand holding and we review math naturally in our house so I don't need the built-in review.

2) I go through a charter so Singapore is free for me and MWC isn't (they don't have enough levels out for the school to stock it). 

They recently revamped the original Primary Mathematics books and I really liked the K books.  I didn't get a TM, but didn't feel I needed one with K (6th kid, I know what games to play and skills to work on).  When I ordered,  it was pretty new and I couldn't find many reviews. The graphics are cute!  Plenty of space to write numbers, not a lot of focus on the math facts,  more on concepts and number sense imo.  My DD got very tired of the Geometry section,  but otherwise has happily done math.  

• Like 1

Singapore Dimensions is not like Primary. No jumps. We are loving it! I bought the vids but you could do it with just the tm, text, & wkbk. Yes, you need to do both.

MWC was a no start here. Too many games before getting to the real math. I think it works for people who like Right Start but not the hefty price tag or like Nancy Larson/Saxon K-3 with all the “toys”.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 2