Menu

Where is Chalk Dust Math?

Ting Tang

It’s not there, but I remember using Chalkdust with my oldest. 

Dana Mosely is an excellent teacher, and perfect fit for ME, but it was a big jump for my ds, so we ended up using something else.

You can find most of his instruction free online these days if you search for him.

https://www.algebrawithinreach.com/ea6e/

https://www.larsonprecalculus.com/precalc9e/content/instructional-videos/

***Oh, I found him. Try https://coolmathguy.com/

13 hours ago, Mona said:

It’s not there, but I remember using Chalkdust with my oldest. 

Dana Mosely is an excellent teacher, and perfect fit for ME, but it was a big jump for my ds, so we ended up using something else.

You can find most of his instruction free online these days if you search for him.

https://www.algebrawithinreach.com/ea6e/

https://www.larsonprecalculus.com/precalc9e/content/instructional-videos/

***Oh, I found him. Try https://coolmathguy.com/

Thanks so much! May I ask why you thought it was a big jump for your student? I’m concerned because we’d be going from CLE 5th grade (which was either going backwards or sideways), and he’d only be in the 6th grade. Last year he did Master Books 6th grade math, weirdly.   

I was on Chalkdust's site maybe a few months ago and they said they were retiring.  So if you want the videos they originally sold, basically you can get them via streaming from coolmathguy.  

Also there are some videos from Houghton Mifflin (with Dana Mosely as teacher) that can be purchased as DVDs--I bought the ones for Larson Precalculus and never used them (I decided not to use Larson). 

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

Thanks so much! May I ask why you thought it was a big jump for your student? I’m concerned because we’d be going from CLE 5th grade (which was either going backwards or sideways), and he’d only be in the 6th grade. Last year he did Master Books 6th grade math, weirdly.   

My son went from CLE 500 level to Chalkdust Basic Math. I thought this would give him a chance to strengthen his math skills while getting used to a new curriculum before moving on to algebra. Although he was capable of doing the type of problems presented, I realize that the work was from college level textbooks so they are different from middle school math books in typography, layout, and content. I remember his first lesson which was very well taught, but the work was not straight forward math equations to solve. It was 30 word problems. He had to read and figure out how to set up each equation and then solve. It was a lot for his age. If your son is sixth grade, there is no rush to get to algebra. If you want him to be able to work independently in math, it is okay to find a video program that will help him solidify his skills and build his confidence. If you skip him to algebra now, you will miss lessons in banking and finance and may want to get something separate to teach those topics like keeping a checkbook. 

I’m glad we have so many choices, but it also makes it hard to know which is right for your child. I’m not sure what we ended up using that year, but I know we used several different algebra programs throughout high school. My daughter was a year behind my son and she used ABeka Basic Math after CLE 500’s and then joined him in algebra. Out of all the algebra programs, I think Video Text Interactive was the most in depth and easy to understand and the work wasn’t overwhelming. We did it over two years covering Pre-algebra, algebra, and advanced algebra. The video footage is old and outdated but the teaching is excellent.

Edited by Mona
  • Like 1

Oh thank you all for being so helpful! That is a concern about chalk dust. If it’s the same book for cool math, that might be an issue for us, so I appreciate it so much! I’ll keep researching! Derek Owens is in the running, but I was worried it might be a rough transition, too, since he wants the student to go through CLE 800. I definitely need to outsource for the sake of time. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

Derek Owens is in the running, but I was worried it might be a rough transition, too, since he wants the student to go through CLE 800.

I don't know anything about CLE.  However, I do know that DO's prealgebra course is really good.  It is a great big review of arithmetic with relevant algebra bits interspersed.  My son did it easily after Singapore 5B, and it prepared him well for Algebra 1 at a b&m school.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, EKS said:

I don't know anything about CLE.  However, I do know that DO's prealgebra course is really good.  It is a great big review of arithmetic with relevant algebra bits interspersed.  My son did it easily after Singapore 5B, and it prepared him well for Algebra 1 at a b&m school.

Thanks so much! That might be good for my son then. I just need information presented in an age appropriate way. 😊

• Like 1

Just thinking out loud: I am homeschooling my youngest still who is currently in 4th grade. (My older two have graduated.) I will also re-visit Derek Owens in the future. I looked at some of his videos, and he seems fun and well-liked by his students. Another math that I might considered is CTC math, but I’ve never used it before, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen it mentioned on these boards. It is one of Cathy Duffy’s picks. I like the way it is set up because you get access to all grade levels and there is a placement test so you can move across grade levels to fill in gaps with specific lessons. Plus, it does all the grading. I can’t recommend it because I haven’t used it, but wanted to mention it in case it appeals to you. We are currently still using CLE and I hope to add in Hands On Equations soon. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mona said:

Just thinking out loud: I am homeschooling my youngest still who is currently in 4th grade. (My older two have graduated.) I will also re-visit Derek Owens in the future. I looked at some of his videos, and he seems fun and well-liked by his students. Another math that I might considered is CTC math, but I’ve never used it before, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen it mentioned on these boards. It is one of Cathy Duffy’s picks. I like the way it is set up because you get access to all grade levels and there is a placement test so you can move across grade levels to fill in gaps with specific lessons. Plus, it does all the grading. I can’t recommend it because I haven’t used it, but wanted to mention it in case it appeals to you. We are currently still using CLE and I hope to add in Hands On Equations soon. 

Thank you!  I feel like I see little ads for CTC all the time to the point I just ignore it, but perhaps I will check it out!  I've also looked at Hands On, and that looks like it would be pretty helpful.  🙂 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

Thank you!  I feel like I see little ads for CTC all the time to the point I just ignore it, but perhaps I will check it out!  I've also looked at Hands On, and that looks like it would be pretty helpful.  🙂 

Me, too! I’ve gotten the ads in emails and just delete them. I’m not ready to switch to something else right now, but they have a free trial and money back guarantee, so the risk would be low. My son is difficult to homeschool compared to my older two or just different. He needs games and hands on or he complains. He tires me out. 😴