Menu

4 Level Sentence Analysis

ArtHaus

My two boys ( 10, 11 ), are currently using MCT, and love it. The 4 Level Analysis approach is wonderful, and my children have thrived, no doubt with a better understanding of grammar than I ever had as a PS attendee. As a result, we have consumed every practice sentence in Practice Town and Practice Island ( they never last us the full year).

My question is, where can I find more resources/workbooks that use the 4 Level approach to sentence diagramming, like MCT? They love starting each grammar lesson with sentence diagramming, and my concern is that, without constant practice, they will begin to forget and lose progress. We still have another semester, plus a summer break before we begin Essay Voyage. Any suggestions?

On 1/7/2023 at 1:29 PM, HeatherW said:

My two boys ( 10, 11 ), are currently using MCT, and love it. The 4 Level Analysis approach is wonderful, and my children have thrived, no doubt with a better understanding of grammar than I ever had as a PS attendee. As a result, we have consumed every practice sentence in Practice Town and Practice Island ( they never last us the full year).

My question is, where can I find more resources/workbooks that use the 4 Level approach to sentence diagramming, like MCT? They love starting each grammar lesson with sentence diagramming, and my concern is that, without constant practice, they will begin to forget and lose progress. We still have another semester, plus a summer break before we begin Essay Voyage. Any suggestions?

I have no answer, but there is sentence analysis in the other parts of the program, if you’re using those? My understanding is Voyage will review and expand upon Town. I feel like this method really helps solidify grammar, though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

I have no answer, but there is sentence analysis in the other parts of the program, if you’re using those? My understanding is Voyage will review and expand upon Town. I feel like this method really helps solidify grammar, though. 

I think I will just wait it out, as we will be using Voyage in the Fall. I did find someone on TPT that sold a packet of extra sentences for MCT, but there was no answer key, which would drive me nuts, even though my diagramming skills are good;) But yes, a wonderful way to solidify grammar! 

Oh, I just remembered he has a Self-Evident Truth series by MCT.  There are some language illustrations there and samples show some completed 4-level analysis.  I've been interested in these books but am not sure when/where to fit them in, so I do not know if there are any exercises for the student.

16 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

Oh, I just remembered he has a Self-Evident Truth series by MCT.  There are some language illustrations there and samples show some completed 4-level analysis.  I've been interested in these books but am not sure when/where to fit them in, so I do not know if there are any exercises for the student.

Hey, thank you! I thought I had looked at every nook and cranny of the RFWP website, lol. I will absolutely purchase a couple of those. They look wonderful!

Just now, HeatherW said:

Hey, thank you! I thought I had looked at every nook and cranny of the RFWP website, lol. I will absolutely purchase a couple of those. They look wonderful!

It does look as if there are some 4Level sentences in the books that either would be done by student or with student and teacher. I love the incorporation of other devices we have learned already (metaphor, alliteration, etc). Looks great, and a nice supplement. Seems like you could get through them relatively quickly. Thanks for the recommendation. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 11:45 AM, HeatherW said:

It does look as if there are some 4Level sentences in the books that either would be done by student or with student and teacher. I love the incorporation of other devices we have learned already (metaphor, alliteration, etc). Looks great, and a nice supplement. Seems like you could get through them relatively quickly. Thanks for the recommendation. 

Fantastic!  And you are welcome.  They are on my list for when I feel the timing is right for my student, but I also want this series for myself!

• Like 1

You can always pull your own sentences to analyze in the same way, or have your students select sentences that interest them from whatever they are currently reading. It can be nice sometimes to see the sentences in their original context & to dissect not only what the sentence is built from, but the impact the chosen structure has upon the reader. 

• Like 2