Menu

IEW ~ Theme-Based Writing... more questions if I may?

angela&4boys

I printed and looked over the sample. I am very excited about it and it definitely seems doable!

I'm wondering how you implement it on a daily basis? What your week looks like?

Also, I noticed that the Medieval book does not have a TM and this is the one I'm considering. For those of you who use this series, do you use the TM for the other books? What would I be missing?

because every week it's different. But basically it's teach the lesson over 1-2 days and then ds spends the rest of the week/s doing the outline, writing the paragraph/s, adding the elements (dress-ups, etc.), proof reading, finding a googe image, and finishing up with the check list. We spend more time than the time alloted in the lesson book. My ds works slowly. I help only when asked after the initial 1-2 days of teaching/lesson and making sure all elements are done on the check list.

I liked it better when the TM/SM were in one book (old IEW U.S. History). With the new IEW Ancient Lessons, I have to use the SM to teach the lesson (no identical copy in the TM just teaching tips). We use the SM as a workbook and don't have to make copies but I liked it better the other way (all in one book). I have IEW Medieval but haven't used it yet.

HTH!

I just bought the Medieval book and have just finished reading it. I haven't seen the TWISS dvds or anything- i was going on comments I have seen here that the theme based books are doable without the whole program, and I agree. This looks very doable but wonderfully in depth as well. I haven't seen the Ancients one, apart form the samples online. I find TMs a bit tedious. I like that the medieval book is all in one. As for a schedule...I don't tend to need them, and I wont know until we start how long the various elements will take, particularly with my particular writing reluctant child.

I am excited about starting this next year with at least one, if not both, of my kids.

Thanks Peela! I always appreciate your comments as well.

I am hoping to start the Medieval book with my 11yo ds (who'll then be nearly 12) sometime in spring. We'll be starting SOTW 2 then. I'm sure I'll be bombarbing the boards with questions then. :tongue_smilie:

BTW, I did order an Imitation in Writing book to get our feet wet.

I am using the ancients right now and I did not order the TM and haven't needed it.

A sketchy schedule looks something like this (but varies):

day 1- read lesson, read sample paragraph, do key-word outline, rewrite from memory with KWO

day 2- work on strong verbs, adverbs (IEW calls them LY words), quality adjectives, alliteration, vocab words, etc.

day 3- work on dress-ups and sentence openers

day 4- final draft with checklist

Now some assignments have 3 paragraphs which means that it may take us 3 weeks to do a lesson but ds is a reluctant writer and we have had fabulous results with this method so I am sticking with it. I figure he'll get faster at it as he becomes more familiar with the program.

HTH.

I am using the ancients right now and I did not order the TM and haven't needed it.

day 1- read lesson, read sample paragraph, do key-word outline, rewrite from memory with KWO

day 2- work on strong verbs, adverbs (IEW calls them LY words), quality adjectives, alliteration, vocab words, etc.

Now some assignments have 3 paragraphs which means that it may take us 3 weeks to do a lesson but ds is a reluctant writer and we have had fabulous results with this method so I am sticking with it. I figure he'll get faster at it as he becomes more familiar with the program.

HTH.

Heather,

This is very helpful. My ds's are reluctant writers as well. My 11yo, in particular, is not the least bit interested in creative writing. I never thought I'd even consider IEW, but this looks like it'll fit him... especially considering he loves history. I'm hopeful anyway. :)

Thank you!

Heather,

This is very helpful. My ds's are reluctant writers as well. My 11yo, in particular, is not the least bit interested in creative writing. I never thought I'd even consider IEW, but this looks like it'll fit him... especially considering he loves history. I'm hopeful anyway. :)

Thank you!

I posted about our results with IEW a few weeks ago (writing sample): http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69621

This is the FIRST program I have been able to get any results with. Best of luck!

Can anyone compare it to Imitation in Writing? My dd, 10, is good at writing but is overly critical of herself. I'm thinking she would do well with any program that utilizes the imitation method.

Any opinions on the difference between the two programs?

I have one of the I in W programs- Medieval- and I decided my 13yo reluctant writer was ready for more than imitation, because he has done a lot of it already (with Classical Writing, and narrations). But I can say I feel the imitative process was very, very good for him and I highly recommend it for a 10yo.

The IEW program is going to stretch my 13yo in other ways I think he is ready for and I feel it is good enough that it can be used as his main writing for the week- in other words, it is writing program plus history writing in one package- allowing us more time to focus on the program rather than trying to fit in too much in the week. Wheras with I in W, I wouldnt feel it was enough for my 13yo (I was considering using it, since I have it, but decided to go with the IEW instead).

They are quite different, but both teach outlining and rewriting in your own words...IEW goes further but my 13yo could not have handled this program at 10. It would have overwhelmed him completely.

HTH.

I feel stupid asking this and hope I don't sound snarky, but doesn't this teach plagiarism? I was always accused of it when I was in school, though I always outlined and rewrote. Actually I did not write the same thing from memory, I was just a voracious reader of adult non-fiction and due to that my writing came out that way. I do worry about teaching my child to plagiarize. :confused:

I am also wondering how long one is to use a theme? Is it a one year program?

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Your question is a good one! But we're all using elements of others peoples works just in a different way. Shakespeare was know for this. J.K. Rowling did a splendid job of using other writers elements and piecing them together in a new story in her Harry Potter series. It's not just in books either; it's in songs and poems too.

IEW theme based writing programs are scheduled to be used over 1 school year.

I feel stupid asking this and hope I don't sound snarky, but doesn't this teach plagiarism? I was always accused of it when I was in school, though I always outlined and rewrote. Actually I did not write the same thing from memory, I was just a voracious reader of adult non-fiction and due to that my writing came out that way. I do worry about teaching my child to plagiarize. :confused:

I am also wondering how long one is to use a theme? Is it a one year program?

No, I don't think so. It teaches children to write using models from good writing. You don't stay there...you move on to writing from research, etc. This is just the starting point.