Menu

December craft thread

Melissa in Australia

19 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

How far apart do you do the quilting rows? 

I only have very old machines. Mostly I sew on My 1930s treadle. I have a walking foot for my 1980 bernina 

And dh just gave me an beaut old singer that he found at the tip shop. Of course I have them all set up and am working on different projects on each one. 😁

I am slowly turning Dd bedroom into a sewing room, it still has a lot of her stuff in it though

16721104012201254996823615964182.jpg

My quilting rows are based on the pattern of the quilt. Stitch in the ditch means to stitch in the seam as close as possible to the "ditch" that is formed by joining of fabric pieces together to form the block or border. So the pattern of the quilt dictates where you stitch to quilt the three layers together. In this case, I have four patch blocks that are framed by long rows of inner border that is a finished width of 1.5" wide.

I will take a picture tomorrow and post it when I am done. I may not have the binding and hand stitching done, but I will post it so you can see the blocks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

It is very hot here atm.  35oC, Too hot to be outside in the middle of the day so I am sewing.. 

A linen top and skirt. I have to let it hang until tomorrow before I can do the hem and button holes. Linen aparently needs hanging as it can shift. 

16721078081375258275221818894905.jpg

This is really pretty! I love the vintage, classic look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Faith-manor said:

My quilting rows are based on the pattern of the quilt. Stitch in the ditch means to stitch in the seam as close as possible to the "ditch" that is formed by joining of fabric pieces together to form the block or border. So the pattern of the quilt dictates where you stitch to quilt the three layers together. In this case, I have four patch blocks that are framed by long rows of inner border that is a finished width of 1.5" wide.

I will take a picture tomorrow and post it when I am done. I may not have the binding and hand stitching done, but I will post it so you can see the blocks.

That would be very helpful. Thank you

14 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

So that is just a regular foot? No need for a walking foot?

Do you  need to do anything to the feed teeth underneath to stop the top layers moving at a different speed to the bottom Layers? 

I do not because the Elna is built for it, and I give the fabric a LOT of guidance. But, I would imagine most machines needs the feeder feet dropped down. I don't possess a walking foot so I just straight stitch it.

My batting is warm and natural which is warm but not thick. I would say that all three layers put together are maybe the equivalent of sewing two pieces of denim togethrt, but I have never stopped to measure and could be wrong about that.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Thank you. Extremely helpful

Glad to be of service. I am so excited. I picked up some fabrics for honorary grandbaby, and have ordered a vintage baby clothing pattern. The style will be right up her alley. I think I will start with the pale yellow that has the honeybees on it. When it comes, that is because I figure since the blizzard, package delivery is so far behind it might be 3 weeks before that fabric and pattern get here.

On 12/26/2022 at 10:32 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

Oh I just had a thought. You probably haven't come across tip shop before. The tip is what you guys call the rubbish dump. Here people drop off ok items in a shed at the tip (rubbish dump) instead of them going to landfill and the local council sells them. 

That's very cool! 

I thought maybe it was code for dumpster diving or picking things up at the curb. I think dumpster diving is technically illegal without the owner's permission. In some neighborhoods here, it's customary to place things at the curb near trash collection time, and people know it's okay to pick them up. The downside is that if someone doesn't pick it up, it's still trashed.

The quilts were a big success. I just got the vintage baby clothes pattern and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the fabric! But, I can't jump into that right away because my sons bought me the Lego Botanical Flower bouquet for Christmas. I have a 750 piece set to snap together now. I don't suppose I can call that a "January craft project", can I?

😁

• Like 5

Have spent the last 2 days teaching oldest ds girlfriend to sew. She has always wanted to but didn't know anyone who could show her.  Or even anyone who had a machine. She is from Spain. So far she has made 1 blouse, 1  circle skirt. and now making another skirt this time completely by herself. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Have spent the last 2 days teaching oldest ds girlfriend to sew. She has always wanted to but didn't know anyone who could show her.  Or even anyone who had a machine. She is from Spain. So far she has made 1 blouse, 1  circle skirt. and now making another skirt this time completely by herself. 

Awesome!!!!!