Menu

Fix It Grammar - Is Teacher's Manual Necessary?

goldenecho

How necessary is the Teacher's Manual for Fix it Grammar.

Just looking at that sample, it looks like it explains some of the concepts in more detail.  I think that I could maybe manage without it for level one,    I might want it for future level for better explanations of some of the more advanced grammatical rules.  But I know how to teach nouns, verbs, capitalization and so forth pretty well.

Can the workbook be used without it, or would you say it's essential, even at level 1?

Edited by goldenecho

In level 1 (with the revised edition) there was one time I wished I had the manual to have the answer key. In a sentence where not every word was supposed to receive a mark, I was slightly unclear once which word to mark.  My DS picked a word to mark that I did not think was correct, but he didn't like my logic and was disappointed that we couldn't double check.

In level two I have consulted the answer key maybe 3 times in the first half of the book.  It's always obvious when every word is to be marked and sometimes less obvious when not.  For example, in a clause, "which he usually wore outdoors" the word "outdoors" was not meant to be marked.  I was pretty sure it was being used as an adverb, but DS was convinced it was a noun. It was unmarked in the answer key , so I was able to say more confidently that it was a type of adverb we hadn't learned yet. 

I haven't used the TM for anything else.  If you have a kid who will confidently believe you about why their answer is incorrect, then you might not need it.  😂.  I do wish in the teacher manual they would list for my benefit what those unmarked words would be if we did label them, just to confirm my thoughts!