Menu

Anyone else with a hotmail account get this message

Frances

I have a longtime hotmail account I access on my iPad. Earlier this month I received the following message, but I don’t really understand it or what I need to do to continue being able to access my email account after December 1. Thanks in advance for any advice or help!

Our records show that your email account has recently been accessed with POP3/IMAP4 through TLS 1.0 or 1.1.
POP3 and IMAP4 will not be able to connect with TLS 1.0 and 1.1 starting on December 01, 2022. You will not be able to receive emails with POP3/IMAP4 protocol after that. To continue accessing your email account using POP3 or IMAP4, please upgrade/update your client to support TLS 1.2. Your emails will not be removed, but you cannot access them without upgrading your client

I wanted to first see if this was a legit email (it is) and last answer on this thread might help:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/i-dont-know-if-i-received-a-microsoft-email-or/3973cce8-9ea3-4b1c-b57d-6b2e95e60927

I've had a live chat session with MS support. Apparently this upgrade only applies if using a 3rd party e-mail account on Microsoft products such as Yahoo or Gmail. If you have a Hotmail account it doesn't apply so no upgrade required if using hotmail. Hope this helps everyone.

I see some other answers if you do a search. Microsoft did a terrible job communicating in this one. Most people getting this email are going to have no idea what it means for them.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LucyStoner said:

I use Outlook online to access my old hotmail account (which I only use to keep spam out of my actual email + I'm too lazy to change my Paypal email for some stupid reason)  I haven't seen this email but I assume that is because their product meets their own requirements.  

So I guess worse case scenario if my Hotmail account no longer works through the mail app on my iPad is that I just go to Microsoft/Outlook online to access my hotmail account?

I always do the regular software updates to my ipad, so it seems like it should be set up to still work. But my ipad is pretty old, so maybe not. 

Edited by Frances

4 hours ago, KSera said:

I wanted to first see if this was a legit email (it is) and last answer on this thread might help:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/i-dont-know-if-i-received-a-microsoft-email-or/3973cce8-9ea3-4b1c-b57d-6b2e95e60927

I see some other answers if you do a search. Microsoft did a terrible job communicating in this one. Most people getting this email are going to have no idea what it means for them.

Thank you. I’ve been doing some more searching and I’m not sure it’s true that this doesn’t affect hotmail accounts as the last answer above stated. I think maybe I got the message because I access my hotmail account through the mail app on my iPad and for some reason, it was set up with imap, even though there are alternatives. I think maybe I need to delete that account and re-add it in a way that avoids imap.

But I also found out that I can download an outlook app for my iPad or just access my account online like I do occasionally. It seems like there is quite a bit of confusion online and some of the tech support responses are even more confusing than the original email. This is the best one I’ve found for iPads or iPhones, although it takes awhile to get there because the person asking the question has multiple devices.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/today-nov-11-2022-i-received-an-email-from-with/e7fa084c-c73d-494b-8046-f5068aa830fd

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1