Menu

DC/Smithsonian area- day after Christmas

QueenCat

For locals to DC... or otherwise experienced...

Do you know if the museums are crowded the day after Christmas? We will have the day after Christmas to go to a museum or two. We've been to most, as I grew up in the area & we've taken the kids at various times in their lives, so I don't need recs on which ones to go to. I'm really just looking at the crowd situation. We cannot go on a different day.

Thanks for your input!!!

It’s my experience that out-of-town visitors want to go to museums between Christmas and New Years, so it’s going to be busy. It’s not so busy that it stops us from taking them, but you won’t have the place to yourself like most other winter weeks. 

I tend to avoid summer, spring break, and the week between Christmas and New Years, but I live here. If I were traveling I wouldn’t skip the museums; I’d just choose less popular ones. 

• Like 1

We went to DC during the time between Christmas and New Years.  I think we traveled on the 27th and came home on the 2nd or 3rd.  It was fantastic.  Now bad crowds, hotels cheap because nobody was there for work (we had planned to stay outying, but ended up in a place that was walkable for many things).  The museums and other sights weren't deserted, and there was slow-moving walking through some of the more popular parts (first lady dresses, Wright brother's plane) but the lines to get in where maybe 8 people long if there was a line.  We planned that trip fairly last-minute and were still able to get in to see things that required reservations (Supreme Court tour).  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

It’s my experience that out-of-town visitors want to go to museums between Christmas and New Years, so it’s going to be busy. It’s not so busy that it stops us from taking them, but you won’t have the place to yourself like most other winter weeks. 

I tend to avoid summer, spring break, and the week between Christmas and New Years, but I live here. If I were traveling I wouldn’t skip the museums; I’d just choose less popular ones. 

Thanks! We tend to be there at other times of the year and I grew up not too far away. My dad worked in DC and I'd go to work with him and explore while he worked. I'm mostly trying to find something to do that day that doesn't involve another day at Hazy by Dulles. That's close to where we're staying but we go there often when we visit. Tired of it. 

32 minutes ago, Clemsondana said:

We went to DC during the time between Christmas and New Years.  I think we traveled on the 27th and came home on the 2nd or 3rd.  It was fantastic.  Now bad crowds, hotels cheap because nobody was there for work (we had planned to stay outying, but ended up in a place that was walkable for many things).  The museums and other sights weren't deserted, and there was slow-moving walking through some of the more popular parts (first lady dresses, Wright brother's plane) but the lines to get in where maybe 8 people long if there was a line.  We planned that trip fairly last-minute and were still able to get in to see things that required reservations (Supreme Court tour).  

We won't need a hotel. Staying at one near my sister's, about an hour outside of the city. Thanks for your input!