Menu

Like MFW-K but a little older??

momacacia

I have loved MFW-K for previous children and started it with current 7yo when he was early 6yo, but took a pause with it while continuing phonics/reading and math consistently. We've used Phonics Road and Math Mammoth at this age for all my kids, but loved MFW-K for the Christian and nature enrichment. I don't love the MFW 1st grade curriculum and we don't need the phonics emphasis that it has.

However, I feel like K might be a little beneath him, though I love the devotional/nature aspect of it. Wondering if there is anything else out the like MFW-K (the Bible, Character and nature/science parts), but that is a little more 1st-2nd grade. He is in second grade math and spelling well.  (We have history covered with Biblioplan which he joins in at his stage with the older kids.)

Any suggestions?! Thank you!! 

Edited by momacacia

7 hours ago, momacacia said:

I have loved MFW-K for previous children and started it with current 7yo when he was early 6yo, but took a pause with it while continuing phonics/reading and math consistently. We've used Phonics Road and Math Mammoth at this age for all my kids, but loved MFW-K for the Christian and nature enrichment. I don't love the MFW 1st grade curriculum and we don't need the phonics emphasis that it has.

However, I feel like K might be a little beneath him, though I love the devotional/nature aspect of it. Wondering if there is anything else out the like MFW-K (the Bible, Character and nature/science parts), but that is a little more 1st-2nd grade. He is in second grade math and spelling well.  (We have history covered with Biblioplan which he joins in at his stage with the older kids.)

Any suggestions?! Thank you!! 

KONOS, although it would be hard, IMHO, to do it and skip history, so would just do the activities and not worry too much about which individual "subjects" are taught. KONOS does history, geography, science, arts and crafts, drama, literature--everything except English and math skills--while studying godly character traits such as attentiveness, orderliness, and obedience. Volume 1 would be my recommendation. The activities are not divided into "grade levels;" you choose the ones you think are best for your child.

Edited by Ellie

On 10/9/2022 at 1:36 PM, momacacia said:

I have loved MFW-K ... for the Christian and nature enrichment. I don't love the MFW 1st grade curriculum and we don't need the phonics emphasis...Wondering if there is anything else out the like MFW-K (the Bible, Character and nature/science parts)...

Christian/Bible/Character ideas
Homeschool Bible Curriculum Roundup -- blog article with a list of options for that subject area
Teaching Character Through Literature
What We Believe series

Nature Enrichment/Science
40 Nature Walks: Science Labs on the Go
10 Backyard Nature Activities for Kids, and, 10 of the Best Hands-On Nature Activites for Kids
Brightly Beaming: Science of the Week -- free lesson plans using the Let's Read and Find Out About Science book series
Sonlight Science A (gr. 1)
Considering God's Creation (gr. 2-6) -- Cathy Duffy review