Menu

old

Paisley Hedgehog

Thanks for the thread. The general observation on Green vs. Pyle are probably true for both, but I'm really needing ideas for Robin Hood, not King Arthur.

:bigear:

:blushing: senior moment here. We read the Robin Hood version by Green. There we no complaints from my 12yo ds. You know to add in the old video with Errol Flynn afterwards, right?

Guest Bonbonne

I'm curious about this, too, and wondering if either would be appropriate for read-aloud time with my 6yo son. He's fairly swashbuckling. ;) Any warnings I should know about?

Pyle version and I think it's pretty awful. It's just so wordy and convoluted, without being very witty. It's not the plot that's the problem...obviously the basic plot is there, with all the character elements.

Pyle is just dry and verbose, that's what.

:iagree: We just read the Pyle version. Ds13 loves all things Robin Hood and did enjoy it, enough to read some chapters on his own, but it was only teh fact it was Robin Hood that got him through (he has his own bow and arrow and costume). Dd14 detested it. I personally found it dry and wordy as Calming Tea said. I wouldn't hand it to a 10 year old, although many kids, like my son, might enjoy it as a read aloud. The language is very archaic, without being what you might call "beautiful". Certainly not easy to read aloud, either.

We really enjoyed the Pyle version as a read aloud, but then I never read anything else for comparison. I do think it would be difficult to read alone. We really liked all those "old words." The edition I had used the margins for definitions and sketches of things which helped.
I think too if you've already read lots of stories in this style, the language doesn't seem so unfamiliar and stilted.

We're fans of Green, but the OP might wish to look at this version. Vivian's is the one I had as a child, and, while not the edition I had, this is a nice one.

We really enjoyed the Pyle version as a read aloud, but then I never read anything else for comparison. I do think it would be difficult to read alone. We really liked all those "old words." The edition I had used the margins for definitions and sketches of things which helped.

Replying twice to this. :)

Was this the edition you had? I loved this one too, and have been collecting the set for DDs.

We just got a version of Robin Hood:

Robin Hood Retold by Sarah Hayes Ill Patrick Benson

The exact details may be different than Pyles but the basic story is the same-evil Sheriff and Nobleman against army of men in green who take from the rich and give to the poor. She took her version from ballads printed in 1495.

This version was very readable and fast paced and I think would be great for a reluctant reader. We got ours from the library.