Menu

How much is too much afterschooling? 2nd grade & K too early?

How much is too much afterschooling for a 2nd grader and a kindergartner?

For the 2nd grader she's doing about 2 hours a night:

-3 hours a week Beast Academy (via the AoPS virtual academy)

- 3 hours a week practicing piano

- 4 learning Chinese (via LingoAce)

For the kindergartner she's doing a little more than 1 hour a night:

-1 hour a week Beast Academy (via Beast Academy website self-directed)

- 3 hours a week practicing piano

- 2 learning Chinese (via LingoAce)

My conundrum is that individually, each thing they're working on they're really excited to learn (especially math), but it just feels like when you combine everything together it's taking too much time.  The Chinese and piano they can't get at school, and the math at school is taught fine, but after a couple years of homeschooling there's a level mismatch.  (Background: we home schooled our kids for 2020 and 2021, but they've been back at public school since January 2022)

Any thoughts?  The typical recommendation online for 2nd grade is either 20 minutes per night or somewhere in the range of 10 minutes - 60 minutes.  They don't get any homework from school at all.

Are the kids happy and excited to do the piano, math, and Chinese? If so, I wouldn't consider it after schooling, I'd consider it working on hobbies. I'd make sure that there was an option to cut back on all of these if they burn out or lose interest. Do they have plenty of other time to play, or do they consider this playing? I think at that age, hobbies and interests are fine, but I'd make sure they have plenty of time for unstructured free play also. 

On 8/20/2022 at 9:53 AM, Tiberia said:

Are the kids happy and excited to do the piano, math, and Chinese? If so, I wouldn't consider it after schooling, I'd consider it working on hobbies. I'd make sure that there was an option to cut back on all of these if they burn out or lose interest. Do they have plenty of other time to play, or do they consider this playing? I think at that age, hobbies and interests are fine, but I'd make sure they have plenty of time for unstructured free play also. 

I agree. Also, could the math be done on the weekend in order to make more time available for free play during the week?

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with others that if they are happy and want to do it its not a problem.    Well, also if you are happy and not feeling like it's too much for you (because 3 hours a night with kids combined might be a lot for you to manage).    

If it does feel like it's too much, look for ways that you can cut down without giving up the activities altogether.   For instance, could you cut down the daily minutes of piano and Chinese every night somewhat, or maybe alternate so you are doing Chinese and piano every other night, without getting rid of either altogether? 

They have BA 1 now -- it's just been released and I'm impressed with how fun it is.  I think it's a good match for the first grade standards but it starts gently with Kindergarten stuff like counting and shapes.

For our 2nd grader: we're going to skip the Aops virtual academy going forward and just let her play BA on her own.  The material is great, but I feel like the online class isn't engaging enough to be worth the time commitment with the limited free time we have.  (If we were homeschooling I'd keep doing the virtual academy as her only math curriculum.)

• 4 months later...

My daughter's after school schedules are pretty tight and I have to think about it. So I heard that the Beestar Online Math program is pretty effective and I gave my daughter a try. There is only 20 mins a week that can be doing well in the core knowledge and skills taught in school. Online Program for math is free so it is also cost effective. My daughter also would like to participate in the upcoming Beestar Online Math Competition in March. One of my daughter's friends was participating last October and she got the silver medal in competition. What she says is that she had less pressure and the competition is running with grade level so it is suitable for the elementary level to join.

• 2 weeks later...

Beestar is currently working so well with my son and it is free and efficiency for time. The learning method is also familiar for the kids and my son seems fun to be study on that program and I also heard that Beestar Online Math Competition will be on March and my son is also willing to Join that competition.

• 1 month later...

I am confusing to choose between Kumon and Beestar and I want to make it clear between Kumon and Beestar which one would the better one for my kid. My son is grade 4 and he loves to play rather than studying and I have a problem to send him to the physical after school classes that's why I'm chasing the right one for my kid. Your answer would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

My son is doing so well with the Beestar, it only takes 20 mins a week and I could see that there is an improvement in his calculation skills and speed. It is completely free so it is worth to give a try. The teaching techniques are pretty familiar to the kids so not even worry about kids might get bored of it. Anyway good luck and hope it helps u.