Menu

Latin

Sheklanian

Definitely NOT too late.  I personally don't introduce Latin until 6th or 7th (with the kids I did Latin with.) Latin has complex grammar, so waiting until they are older allows them to progress more rapidly and on into more interesting reading than when you start younger.  Some kids just burn out on Latin when they start too young.

• Like 3

We were new to classical last year, and I attempted to start my 4th grader on the Memoria Press forms curriculum.  He had no cultural reference to Latin, and I don't think that helped us.  We switched to Minimus, which is a comic style curriculum, and I think he got more out of it.  It has a lot of history, culture, and mythology in it.  I would definitely make sure the style of Latin curriculum you choose fits the student.  It is definitely not too late!  You could even wait until you have a grasp on classical education. I felt we had to start early based on the Memoria Press curriculum. 

Edited by Ting Tang

2 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

Definitely NOT too late.  I personally don't introduce Latin until 6th or 7th (with the kids I did Latin with.) Latin has complex grammar, so waiting until they are older allows them to progress more rapidly and on into more interesting reading than when you start younger.  Some kids just burn out on Latin when they start too young.

This! Good time to begin. Loads of threads here about Latin curricula. Have fun!

Too late?? Agreeing with the others that it is absolutely not too late! Many students do not study Latin until high school. An older student can learn in one or two years what it might take a younger student perhaps four years, e.g., Henle I can be completed in two years or less by a student in upper middle school or high school, while the Forms (for younger students) take four years. They basically cover the same Latin grammar and syntax -- although Henle is more oriented to prepare the student to start reading authentic Latin, such as Caesar's writing.

Good luck to you. He has many years of happy Latin study ahead of him!

Bonnie

On 8/15/2022 at 1:43 AM, OakParkOwlets said:

Have you used any of the YouTube videos?  If so, do you find them helpful?

I didn't know there were YouTube videos. We have used the recordings from the website and commentary. DS likes to use the recordings. 

• Like 1