Menu

Favorite learn-to-read, spell programs these days

EmilyGF

Hi all,

My "caboose" is learning to read and, so far, says she "doesn't like reading." I took a break from teaching her to read and got her eyes checked (20/20 vision).

We'll start instruction back up after vacation in about a month. I'm willing to take a new approach.

What are the current favorite learn-to-read programs? 

I don't have time or desire to sing and dance, but prefer a solid phonics-based program. I'm out of the loop, though, on what's new. Suggestions?

Emily

I've really liked All About Reading. Some say it's overkill for "natural" readers; however, my taught himself how to read child really enjoys it. It's is on the expensive end of things so if you choose a cheaper program I may still consider getting the All About Reading readers. They are actually really funny and entertaining reading. The readers are more entertaining than Bob Books, and 4 weeks to read books, more mischievous than Dash books. Here's my personal review of a few others I've tried.

All About Reading has "games", word/sentence lists, flash cards and letter tiles for reading.

4 Weeks to Read incorporates a lot more singing and coloring for learning letters and letter sounds. To learn the other phonics stuff it's just using the readers.

Dash into Reading is a bunch of readers, each of them have exercises in the beginning of the book to learn the phonics stuff associated with each book. There isn't as much practice as say AAR or 4 Wks2R.

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading is more straight forward and dry, but also way cheaper. No readers, but you could totally buy the readers from the other reading programs or borrow the "learn to read" books from the library to supplement.

Progressive Phonics is FREE. (Progressive Phonics - Intermediate) Also really fun stories but you have to print it out or use a tablet. It uses buddy reading a lot in the beginning so could be really good for a reluctant reader. Little letters for adult to read then the child reads the giant colored words. Later it has different size and color for words we are learning vs. ones you should know from previous lessons.

I didn't want a curriculum that combined reading and spelling/writing, but here are some I've heard of if you want that.

Logic of English and Pinwheels (Rooted in Language). 

• Like 1

Definitely not "new," my favorite is Spalding. Teaches children to read by teaching them to spell, simultaneously covering penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing. You only need the manual (Writing Road to Reading) and a set of phonogram cards, and you're good to go forever. I recommend the 4th edition of the manual, which is out of print but which can be found in a multitudinous number of places, including Amazon.

Progressive Phonics is very similar to the Spalding Method, just not nearly as comprehensive.

Something open and straight forward but more light hearted is the Dancing Bears reading program from Sound Foundations. I used their “Fast Track” level as reading reinforcement for my first grader after a phonics workbook program. The goofy stories made her content to move through the fluency pages most families dread in AAR.

• Like 2