Menu

AP World History: BYU vs UC Scout?

Hi all,

We're new to homeschooling as of this year (rising 10th grader) and are enrolled in a public charter with limited vendors. At this point AP World History is only offered by BYU and UC Scout. (Aim Academy is in the process of becoming a vendor, and we'd really, really, really prefer to take Farrar's class, but unless something changes, I have been informed that my kid can't take her class if they aren't approved before school starts. I feel like banging my head against a wall.)

If you had to choose between BYU and UC Scout for AP World History, which would you choose?

And, if any of you are in CA or understand a-g requirements, my charter says "if she takes this class [at Aim Academy before approval] it won't be a-g approved". What does that really mean, in practice? If it's not a-g approved, does that mean she'll have to take an extra history class later because we're in a charter public school? I've emailed the academic advisor to try to set up an appointment to discuss, but haven't heard back.

Thanks!

I'm not with a charter, but my understanding is that A-G requirements pertain specifically to UC's. They are the minimum admissions requirements that the student needs to fulfill in order to be eligible to apply:

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/freshman-requirements/subject-requirement-a-g.html

A lot of people that homeschool high school in CA end up going with a PSA instead of a charter, because a PSA can offer more educational flexibility. 

Another option for your daughter might be to take World History through a community college. In CA, DE is free as long as the student doesn't take more than 11 units per quarter (or semester).

There are some other CA-specific groups that might be helpful for you. I'll PM you.

WTM,

I know a number of people do PSAs instead of charters, but I confess that as a first time homeschooling parent with a child who has been at a brick and mortar school, I wasn't ready to do a PSA and wanted a bit more handholding. And if I can make the vendors work, it's pretty nice to receive money that more or less covers the tuition and supplies she needs for the year. (Aim Academy + Blue Tent + DE should work well for her.)

I will look into the groups you sent; thank you! And I understand a-g requirements, but get tripped up when they say an AP class would somehow not fit a-g, when for OOS students UCs view AP classes in core subjects as fitting the a-g requirements and give the gpa bump when they calculate UC capped and weighted gpa. 

Thanks again!

Sadly neither has a good reputation. I have never found anybody excited over UC Scout classes. Equally my former ES told me many of her students weren't too happy with BYU either. No help, but if I were you I would look at each and see how they are set up, and if those are your only choices, pick the one that gives you least headache. 

• Like 1

UC Scout will let you take the AP test at their location, which could be a nice perk if you don’t otherwise have a testing location.

As for A-G, I imagine the course itself would not satisfy the requirement if it is not pre-approved, but that a passing score on the AP test would satisfy the requirement.  

• 4 weeks later...

@Roadrunner and @Lawyer&Mom,

I apologize for not responding earlier; I didn't realize you had posted! Roadrunner, I agree with you--I'm not excited about either UC Scout or BYU for her, but those are the options we have. I'm hoping it's the only class she has to take with either of them. I floated the idea of her taking a DE world history course, but this is when I know we're still transitioning to homeschooling: "But, Mom, all of my friends are taking AP World. I want to take the test with them." One friend is doing it through UC Scout, so I think I'll choose it and they can study together.

Lawyer&Mom, her former hs has said she could take the test at the school as long as she signs up in the fall. You make me pause and reconsider rolling the die about not having a-g credit and then passing the test, but I think she also wants the gpa boost for UCs. Sigh.