Menu

Resources for writing essays 8th

ThursdayNext

What writing resources do you all like, specifically for essays? What didn’t you like? Also, I’m looking for an English handbook for reference, that she can use now through high school and college.

We’re getting ready for high school and a dual enrollment program. My daughter will be in 8th grade, and up til now we’ve focused mainly on getting comfortable getting words on a page, and enjoying writing. She now likes writing not just for school, but in free time writes poetry and the beginnings of novels. We’ve put off formal writing for the most part, with no regrets.

I’m looking for resources/ curriculum on essay writing and other nonfiction writing. We don’t want to spend a whole year on this, just a crash course, since she’ll be doing a creative writing group and NaNoWriMo.

For persuasive essays, we like The Lively Art of Writing by Lucille Vaughn Payne. It’s an older book, so some of the examples are outdated (drag racing), but the core of the content is excellent and accessible.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WTM said:

For persuasive essays, we like The Lively Art of Writing by Lucille Vaughn Payne. It’s an older book, so some of the examples are outdated (drag racing), but the core of the content is excellent and accessible.

This! And there is a workbook that a boardie made to go with it. PM me if you want it. Good basic intro. Inexpensive too.

Sadly, drag racing is not outdated here - the police in my part of town battle it incessantly. I can hear the roar of the cars on weekends if I’m up late. Ugh! 

• Haha 1