Menu

trying to decide what to do with gifted 15yo.

I have homeschooled her since she learned how to read at 5. This year, I put her in a private school b/c she was lacking motivation to do her science and math homework. Surprisingly, she has a 97 average in Algebra, but that may not last. She was out for a few days before and after the THNKSG. break, and has a lot of make-up work. She is really bored in her other classes, and wants to come back home. The school put her in 9th grade b/c of her birthday, even though she did 9th last year except didn't finish Algebra or Biology (which she is doing this year too).

So, I am wondering what I should do. She loves reading historical books and literature. She would rather read all day long. She is also interested in languages.

I am a bit worried that if I bring her back home, she will start slacking again in Math and science (which are NOT my fav. subjects either)!

I wonder if the pressure of the school is good for her, even if she is bored stiff. I often think that I am hindering her from exploring her full potential, and I have no clue how to encourage her to do her work that she loathes.

Would a public school with a GT program be better for her? I went to accelerated classes and for the most part, I kept out of trouble and focused on my studies.

I also think that hs counselors are better equipped to help her find scholarships, etc. We don't have a college fund for her, and I know that she wants to go to college.

You say she was slacking but what does that mean?

I mean, if I didn't make my kids do their work, no doubt they'd slack. However, instead, I tell them what to get done in some time frame (appropriate to each of them...which is different) and it has to be done. So ds may temporarily have a choice such as whether to do math today or not, but by the end of the week, he either has done his work and corrections or he gets to work into the weekend, foregoing computer games, family activities, whatever until it's done. SO there is really no slacking possible.

A lot of people want their teens to be self-motivated enough to just do what they should do for various reasons. But that isn't completely reasonable. SOME teens will be like we want them to be. Others need additional supervision, guidance, and checking up upon.

Now the other way to go would be to unschool. At first, she'll probably read all day, follow few interests, and neglect math and science. But in time, she'll be thinking of her goals and know she has to get that Trig learned one way or another in order to get into the college program of her choice.

Still another way. Does your area have a program where teens can take college courses? We have programs that allow dual enrollment but several colleges have other programs too. One program is considered public school but the student takes 4-5 college courses per semester plus does learning groups, clubs, sports, etc as they wish. It has the additional support of high school but is all college courses and a student only has to be a typical 11th grader, not a genius, to get in (pass TAKS test, have passed 12 credits, etc).

Really, there are tons of options. I would discuss them with your daughter.

We are in a time of transition ourselves. My dd started college this year and has a full course load next semester. And my ds has done the state virtual academy for just over a year but we're going to start homeschooling him again. So we had to figure exactly what my role was and their responsibilities were with each change. It's been interesting.

Can you do dual-enrollment w/her? Even if it's just for the math/science courses she'll be ahead & challenged. The great thing, as you know, w/homeschool is that you can tailor it to the student, not the student to the school. As for the scholarships, etc there's lots of help here & in lots of books. Also, here our college counselor at the ps will meet w/homeschoolers--maybe you can find someone like that there.

:)

If so then speak to the guidance counselor and ask for assistance to challenge her or move her to more appropriate classes (higher levels).

If you bring her home and she doesn't like it can she return to public school and not go back down a grade? Some schools will not allow homeschoolers to put their dc in higher levels even if they have done the work at home.

The positive peer pressure at my ds's private school has been wonderful for him. He gets his work DONE which wasn't the always the case at home.

The first half of the school year will be easier because of the basic building of the material. The work WILL get more challenging after Christmas break.

Can you co-op,or outsource for math and science? Then you could do history and english at home, She would probably love a great books program. You could use the WTM or Omnibus, or Tapestry of Grace. There are probably other programs too, those are just the ones I know. We have used Omnibus. The challenge of reading these books has been great for my son.

As far as slacking, my son is bright, motivated, and generally likes school. However, I do check his work and make sure he is progressing on his work.

I'd really try for this, if you can. My daughter took one class and can't wait to take more next semester. She's far more motivated to work for someone else, and by that, I don't mean a high school teacher. College classes can provide her with peers who think like she does. She can also see what's expected of a college student.

about it b/c she really is a social bee and most of the people at the cc are older 20's-30's. Would it be weird to audit her classes so I could keep an eye on her? LOL

]

My 15yo dd just finished her 2nd semester of CC classes. I was worried about this, too. But there is less socializing at the CC campus if you are in one or two classes, than if you are at a high school all day. And it turns out that my dd *did* find a couple of people to socialize with - both 16yo homeschool girls in the same class!

My 15yo dd just finished her 2nd semester of CC classes. I was worried about this, too. But there is less socializing at the CC campus if you are in one or two classes, than if you are at a high school all day.

:iagree: Even the ps kids my dc have met, comment on how much better cc is than hs--not all the drama & you're expected to act like adults! Remember that some of their fellow students are mom's age. Both my girls started cc @ 15 & it's been great!

Edited by K-FL
clarity

My 14dd took a CC chemistry class this past summer. The class was long because it included a lab. At first I was concerned with the older students etc., so we dropped her off right before class, and picked her up right after class. She really enjoyed it and got along well with her classmates who were mostly older women. I had a chance to meet a few of them.

My daughter needs to have challenging classes as well, and we have managed to keep her on track, but we do have to continually set expectations and boundaries or she will definitely slack off. :tongue_smilie: She also takes a class at a local co-op which is challenging.

Feel free to PM me with further questions if needed.