Menu

can you draw this math problem for us? (trig)

An ocean current flows due south at 10 km/h. If a ship is going to travel through this current on a course with bearing 120 degrees at a speed of 20 km/h, find its heading.

We are not coming up with the appropriate heading, and I suspect we are drawing it incorrectly.  There is no solution key for this problem, unfortunately. Just an answer.

@cintinativeand @EKS: I AM getting 90 degrees. Can the problem be that you switched bearing vs heading? 
Bearing is the final resultant velocity, and heading is the direction in which the ship is pointing.

Velocity addition in vectors: V_ocean+V_ship=V final

In x-y components, with x = east and y= North: V0x+Vsx=Vfx and voy+Vsy=Vfy
Let's look at y first:

Voy=-10 (i.e. 10 km/h due South)

Vfy= - 20 sin 30 degrees (bearing of 120 means 120 CW from N, so 30 below x-axis; y is opposite side, hence sine)

Vfy= -20* 1/2 = -10
Thus VSy=0, no S/N velocity component of the ship - ship must move due East, i.e. at 90 degrees. Did I mess up?

20220701_105824.jpg

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is our drawing. I think that the big difference is that regenetrude drew the current first and then the direction of the boat off of the same point. This is why I wanted to have someone draw a picture. I think ours is drawn incorrectly.  Sorry for the bad picture.

problem 2 self test.jpg

Edited by cintinative

2 minutes ago, cintinative said:

We were wondering if perhaps the river current works like wind direction where it comes from behind? Here is our drawing. I really think our problem is how it is drawn perhaps? Or where we are reading the degree measurement? Sorry for the bad picture.

problem 2 self test.jpg

Your pic looks like you have ADDED the ocean velocity to the final (i.e. bearing) velocity given in the problem.
The final velocity is the SUM of the ocean current and the ship's heading velocity. In other words: if the ocean current already gives the ship all its needed South component of velocity, the ship does not need any heading velocity to the south; it can head straight East and will end up with the 120 degree bearing.

Edited by regentrude
  • Thanks 1