Menu

Hebrew for 1st grade?

Diana B

I'm starting to think of next year, and I'm pretty sure I want to start ds in Hebrew next year. My dh has been teaching himself some, so I have the teacher, just need the curriculum.

Anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer to go with Biblical Hebrew versus modern Hebrew, but I figure it will probably be harder to find. And since they are similar, I'll take what I can get.

I'm still very much in the planning stages, just would like to get a list going now so I have plenty of time to research.

Thanks!

For learning the alef bet, we love Otyot Step-by-Step. After alef bet, we used the Kindergarten book from Sha'ah shel menuchah by Menuchah Fuchs. Now we're using the Migdalor program from Shy Publications: http://www.shypub.com/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=27 It's pretty much a Hebrew phonics program. We love it. My daughter is 5-1/2 and we're sailing through it at a comfy pace (about 1 page per day). In addition, we use Shalom Ivrit (just started Book 2) and Rosetta Stone for conversational Hebrew.

For learning the alef bet, we love Otyot Step-by-Step. After alef bet, we used the Kindergarten book from Sha'ah shel menuchah by Menuchah Fuchs. Now we're using the Migdalor program from Shy Publications: http://www.shypub.com/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=27 It's pretty much a Hebrew phonics program. We love it. My daughter is 5-1/2 and we're sailing through it at a comfy pace (about 1 page per day). In addition, we use Shalom Ivrit (just started Book 2) and Rosetta Stone for conversational Hebrew.

Are the first two resources mentioned (Otyot Step-by-Step and Kindergarten book from Sha'ah shel menuchah by Menuchah Fuchs) also available from Shy publications?

Could you tell me if this is biblical or modern Hebrew? Thanks!

At this level (early elementary), you don't really need to distinguish between biblical and modern Hebrew. Biblical grammar is more complicated, but the vocabulary used is only one-fifth of that of modern Hebrew. If you learn modern Hebrew, you will definitely be able to understand biblical Hebrew. The language was basically on a 2500-year "time out" as a spoken language until it was recently revived, so the differences are not nearly as dramatic as, say, between classical and modern Greek which was spoken (and evolving) all along.

The Shy Publications books are entirely in Hebrew, so if a parent does not know any Hebrew it would probably be pretty tricky. Behrman House publications have all the directions (and teacher guides) in English, so they would probably be much easier for a non-Hebrew speaker. My more limited experience with those books is that the beginner books are primarily directed at the once-a-week upper elementary Sunday school crowd. Some of the books still work fine for the younger kids, and Behrman has lots of sample pages to download (if I remember right) so you can take a peek to see if it's a good fit.

Otyot Step by Step is by Esty Wolf and is available at feldheim.com The directions are in English, but it doesn't tell you what the sound of the letter actually is or what the name of the letter is, so you would have to find that somewhere else. That's pretty easy to find, and the books are really great. We also play with the letters a lot "off the books" doing letter hunts around the house; tagging things that begin with alef in the house; making alef bet shapes with our bodies; pretty much the kinds of activities you might do while learning the alphabet. My 3-1/2-year-old LOVES doing these books and we're about half-way through now.

Here's the Sha'ah shel menuchah book: http://www.mekorjudaica.com/store/detail.asp?ProdID=24967

There isn't anywhere to download some sample pages, unfortunately. That one is entirely in Hebrew though.

Good luck!

Ah, I see.

Well, we really like a book that's published by the National Jewish Outreach Project. It teaches how to read the alephbet with vowel markers, introducing words as you are able to read them. I've scanned in some pages for you so you can see what I mean. The primer is small and simple, just a little blue paperback stapled together, but was the most successful book I have ever seen, in any of the languages I've studied. I wish there was one for Greek. :)

I scanned in the first three pages so you can see how they introduce one letter at a time. Then I scanned in a handy chart from the beginning of the book, a lesson from the middle, and a lesson from the end.

You are never expected to already know Hebrew words. Every new word is defined as you learn to sound it out. By the end of the book, you're reading brachas, but it's so very one-step-a-time that it's painless.

Here's the album.

It is absolutely suitable for a five year old. My then five year old used it, and I was friends with women who were teaching their four year olds too.

It's hard to find. You have to call the National Jewish Outreach Project and ask them to sell you a copy, because usually they're handed out as part of their live classes. But we had no problems getting them for our classes in Denver, far away from the live classes in NYC, when we called and explained our situation.

Good luck!

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

Hi there,

When you know Modern Hebrew, can you read the Torah? (OR, does it have to be one that's translated to Modern Hebrew??)

Carrie:-)