Menu

7th grade Switching to Saxon from Abeka

TiffMG

I have a current 6th grader who has used abeka since kindergarten. This year we added video lessons about half way through the year since she was struggling a bit to understand some of the concepts. Overall she does well except for percentages. I am considering switching to Saxon next year for 7th. I am wondering if anyone else has made the switch. Did it transition easy? Was it a better fit for your child? Either way we will continue with video lessons. I was thinking of we switch we'd go into 8/7 and then algebra (if I'm reading the sequence correctly). Any guidance would be so appreciated on this one! 

Get the placement test for Saxon newbies. You could do 8/7 or 1/2 (the 8/7 is usually recommended) but she may be past both and ready for Algebra.

I would work on percentage all summer regardless. Kumon or Kahn or even Life of Fred. 

Edited by Brittany1116
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TiffMG said:

I have a current 6th grader who has used abeka since kindergarten. This year we added video lessons about half way through the year since she was struggling a bit to understand some of the concepts. Overall she does well except for percentages. I am considering switching to Saxon next year for 7th. I am wondering if anyone else has made the switch. Did it transition easy? Was it a better fit for your child? Either way we will continue with video lessons. I was thinking of we switch we'd go into 8/7 and then algebra (if I'm reading the sequence correctly). Any guidance would be so appreciated on this one! 

It's really, really important for your dc to take Saxon's placement test instead of just picking a text. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Green Bean said:

Key To Percentages would fill your need well. My vote is if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Stay with ABeka.

Echoing the other 2. It is beyond important to give her the test and start where she places unless you feel she placed too high. 

My dd did Abeka K-6, but without videos, and I loosely followed their curriculum guide. I've also supplemented with RS, LOF and BA. She tested into saxon 8/7, and it has been a fairly easy transition. Still no videos. She reads the lesson, and I review with her. She does the work, then I grade and she makes any corrections. I am a big fan of spiral review and I thought Saxon was a better fit for transitioning to high-school. I still wonder about other programs, but likely will continue with Saxon.

• Thanks 1