Menu

Buried Treasures: Deals & Bargains!

AnneGG

I am trying to keep my educational budget low for the upcoming year and have been on a quest to find deals. 

Favorites so far: 

A little thrift shop that sells books 10 for $1.

Hobby Lobby’s wood section has a bag of 3d shapes for $3. Lots of other great finds in that section depending how crafty you want to get. Wooden USA map and clock face. 

HP Instant Ink subscription. 

Landscape dry erase sleeves to slip over work pages without ripping them out. Can be a little clunky depending on the books. On that same note, ultra fine dry erase markers. 

BIC crayons. No wrappers! Cheap! They don’t break easily and they color so smoothly! We LOVE them. 

This is already well known, but Rod & Staff! 

Lego Life magazine is free. Not super academic, but lots of fun. It’s a treasure in our house. 

Walmart’s Pen & Gear Sketch Diary is less than $2 with thick enough paper for paint. Perfect nature notebook for beginners. 

The vintage-ish bird, flower, tree, and insect cards from Homeschool Compass. 

Lit Wits and Homeschool Share book units. 

Share your treasured finds! 

• Like 1

Something people tend to overlook… Library Purchase Requests. 📚

Most homeschoolers I know frequent the library, but when a particular resource isn’t available they shrug their shoulders & move on. Submit a purchase request! If you’re searching for it, chances are others are, too - or at the very least would pick it up if they saw it. Tailoring the catalogue to those who make frequent use of their services is a huge part of how libraries work & keeping materials circulating is critical to keeping them well-funded. Now is a great time to begin submitting requests for materials you’ll need in the upcoming school year; the process takes some time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

Something people tend to overlook… Library Purchase Requests. 📚

Most homeschoolers I know frequent the library, but when a particular resource isn’t available they shrug their shoulders & move on. Submit a purchase request! If you’re searching for it, chances are others are, too - or at the very least would pick it up if they saw it. Tailoring the catalogue to those who make frequent use of their services is a huge part of how libraries work & keeping materials circulating is critical to keeping them well-funded. Now is a great time to begin submitting requests for materials you’ll need in the upcoming school year; the process takes some time. 

Exactly. I had no idea this was a thing until the lady at the desk in the children's section asked me to give her my list of books that weren't in our library system. She ordered them and called me inside of two weeks to let me know they were available for me to check out.

• Like 3

On 4/30/2022 at 9:37 PM, Servant4Christ said:

Exactly. I had no idea this was a thing until the lady at the desk in the children's section asked me to give her my list of books that weren't in our library system. She ordered them and called me inside of two weeks to let me know they were available for me to check out.

Awesome!