Menu

Classical Writing users... what do you use for grammar?

angela&4boys

We've used Rod and Staff in the past, but switched to Harvey's this year. We use the Harvey's workbooks, which are also sold by CW. There are answer keys to both levels of the workbooks. I really appreciate the convenience of having the Harvey's work scheduled in the CW workbooks.

I don't know anything about GWG.

We are presently using GWG and my ds is very happy with it.

But, I'm curious if others are using the suggested Harvey English materials and if GWG would be up to par?

Angela,

I am not to Homer yet. Right now we are using JAG with Aesop B. Things are going well (they didn't start well, just are going well now), so we will try Harvey's, but if it proves to be too much we will just do AG.

What I have heard is they picked Harvey's for its rigor and how it cover things other programs do not. The only thing I have again heard comes close is R&S 7. That said my dd already knows more grammar than I learned in my whole ps/college education. If we have to fall back to AG then I will just make the best of it and be content with the fact that she probably will still know more than most.

Heather

I plan to start Homer in January and continue with our Shurley Grammar. I don't think it will be a problem. The main thing is to get the IG or have a reference to help you with the diagramming. I own DEG (Descriptive English Grammar) and bought the IG, so I think we'll be fine. However I do plan on getting dd into SG 6 as soon as she finishes the SG4 we're doing. I've started diagramming together one sentence each day from our SG, and she's having no problem with it. If you've done no diagramming at all, obviously that would be a problem going into Homer.

Edited by OhElizabeth

I think we'll stick with GWG for now. If we go with CW (still considering IEW and Imitations), I plan on easing my reluctant writer into it by using Aesop.

I'll consider Harvey's if we continue the series. The samples of the workbook they've created look excellent.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.:)

I think we'll stick with GWG for now. If we go with CW (still considering IEW and Imitations), I plan on easing my reluctant writer into it by using Aesop.

I'll consider Harvey's if we continue the series. The samples of the workbook they've created look excellent.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.:)