Menu

History of the World

Has anyone here used History of the World?  I am considering it for my soon-to-be 9th grader, but I'm wary of giving her anything too dry.  I like that it is chronological, that it includes critical thinking exercises...I just can't seem to find a good review anywhere.  Thanks!

29 minutes ago, Ethel Mertz said:

We used it for high school and loved it. It’s not dry at all. Can you download the 1st chapter from WTM Press?

You can actually get more from the free sample on Amazon, but you need a kindle or the kindle app.

• Like 1

My daughter used all three books available. She liked them. She found them interesting. She said The History of the Ancient World was the hardest to follow because of the unusual names, but she liked them overall. They are college-level texts so it helps if their strong readers.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/15/2022 at 3:35 AM, Ethel Mertz said:

We used it for high school and loved it. It’s not dry at all. Can you download the 1st chapter from WTM Press?

Hello, I am also considering using WTM History of the World next year with my ninth-grader. Did you create your own syllabus and grading rubric? 

9 hours ago, ChristineNH said:

Hello, I am also considering using WTM History of the World next year with my ninth-grader. Did you create your own syllabus and grading rubric? 

We used the three available books. I arranged a schedule that would have us read the Ancients book over the course of 9th grade. We talked about each chapter and used the comprehension questions in the teacher's guide. Every third chapter or so, my students would choose a critical thinking project to tackle. Grades were based on completing the assigned work and participating in discussions. For Early/Modern we switched to a different text, and now this year we are doing a Current Events class.

• Like 1