Menu

VP self paced history users

Elizabeth86

We use VP for history.  My boys love it.  We will have done them all except for 1815 to present which I thought we would do next year for 4th and 6th grade.  I had this idea that there are few other social studies topics I'd rather cover instead.  Do you think VP self paced history would be ok to do with a 7th grader? I feel like it is fine because I have learned tons from these lessons, so if an adult is learning so much, I don't see why it wouldn't be beneficial for a 7th grader.  WDYT?

On 3/29/2022 at 4:21 PM, Elizabeth86 said:

We use VP for history.

Have you been doing the self-paced or the curriculum you teach yourself? If you've been doing self paced, I would finish it out. What are the other topics you wanted to do? Have you thought about doing them as a May Term project (focusing just on that for 2-4 weeks) or doing them over the summer? Then you'd be ready to hit that last year of the VP history in the fall.

While you can do it older, I think you might find your older gets bored. 7th is a HUGE step up from 6th and you can never predict that far out. It won't be an issue for the younger, but for the older it will be.

And, fwiw, I'm doing the VP cards with my ds who is on the older side for 7th, and he's bored stiff. I know he's not doing the self-paced (my dd did the self-paced) but I'm just saying it doesn't even fit where he is developmentally or the questions he asks. 

10 hours ago, Spirea said:

I'm very curious about this. I know someone who used it, but I don't understand the setup or how to schedule our other subjects with it.

I haven’t looked at it too much. VP self paced history would probably be dropped by me at this point because I’d much prefer something less screen, but my boys beg for it each year and I’m not saying no to learning they enjoy and ask for. T

Just now, Elizabeth86 said:

I haven’t looked at it too much. VP self paced history would probably be dropped by me at this point because I’d much prefer something less screen, but my boys beg for it each year and I’m not saying no to learning they enjoy and ask for. T

I'm not big on screens either. Its probably too much for me to do with only text books.

• Like 1