Menu

Can you do AOPS Pre-Algebra and Intro to Geometry at the same time?

rzberrymom

Can a kid work through the AOPS Pre-Algebra book at the same time as working through their Intro to Geometry book? I’m thinking of spending maybe 2 weeks on the pre-algebra and then switching to the geometry. My DD adores geometry, and so I hate to make her wait two more years to get to it.

Reason I ask is because AOPS has a ‘Are you ready for this book’ questionnaire, and they definitely want you to have mastered algebra first: https://data.artofproblemsolving.com//products/diagnostics/introduction-geometry-pretest.pdf

Is there a good reason for that? Or could we do them concurrently?

No. You need algebra for many of the geometry problems. And the geometry book is hard. 

ETA: Have you looked at the excerpts they have on their website?
https://s3.amazonaws.com/aops-cdn.artofproblemsolving.com/products/intro-geometry/exc2.pdf

This is one of the easier math ones. System of three equations with three unknowns.
Trust them when they say you need algebra.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I think that there are probably geometry programs that she could play around with, but AoPS geometry is challenging and, like regentrude said, will have problems that require solving systems of equations.  Maybe something fun like Patty Paper Geometry (we haven't used this, but it sounds neat)?  

We actually delayed AOPS geometry until after AOPS intermediate algebra to buy more time for maturity before reaching geometry. 

Patty Paper Geometry is excellent. I just taught that to a group of kids of mixed math ability (pre-a, algebra, and concurrent geometry)

Edited by calbear