Menu

Anyone with experience with parathyroid adenoma?

Eos

Thank you - I really don't anyone who's had it.  Was it full anesthesia or local?  Does she take any long term meds for it?

24 minutes ago, *Jessica* said:

I believe this is what my mother had about 16 years ago.  She had surgery to remove her parathyroid.  Recovery was quick.  I can ask her for more details tomorrow if you have specific questions.  

I had one removed last may.  It was outpatient.  Full anesthesia.  Super easy.  Recovery was easy.  I was off work for a week but that was precaution for my doctor.  I had to take calcium supplements for a few weeks but that was it.  Also, I had been feeling terrible because of the adenoma and the increased blood calcium, etc it caused.  I felt immediately better when I woke up in recovery room.  

Also, it did require some maintenance to help the incision heal and to help prevent scarring.  I just use vaseline with vitamin E in it and apply sunscreen.  Scar is minimal as they did incision in natural crease in my neck.  You will also probably need to do a nuclear medicine parathyroid scan to isolate the problem before any surgery.  Also a very easy test but it is time consuming.  Let me know if you have any other questions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had one almost the size of my thumb removed. As I'm sure you know, there are 4 parathyroid glands on the butterfly-shaped thyroid, each about the size of a grain of rice. I had a great doctor who caught it w/ bloodwork and saw the high calcium. I too took calcium supplements afterwards.

As a PP said, some of my symptoms disappeared DAY OF. It was great. My husband and I walked to dinner the night of my surgery, and then, dutifully, went to a grocery store to get ice cream for my throat.  😆 As we stood in line, I told him, "The bones in my feet don't hurt anymore." 

I did a lot of research and chose a surgeon/clinic who was highly rated (and took my insurance). I had full anesthesia but was an out patient. My scar is hardly noticeable. I was off for the summer, so taking off work wasn't an issue for me. The only special thing I did for my scar was apply sunscreen faithfully for that summer. 

Feel free to send me a private message if you want to ask me specifics.

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Thanks 1