Menu

Question on House of Humane Letters Early Modern Literature Live Class with Angelina Stanford

I can't seem to find the answer to this question on the website. I am considering enrolling my son (11th grade for the 2022-2023 school year) in the Early Modern Literature LIVE class. However, when I read the description for the self-paced option, it seems to indicate that the class is not discussion based. Am I, therefore, correct in believing that aside from receiving a grade, there is no other tangible difference between the LIVE and self-paced course? In addition, if there is no difference between the Live and Self-Paced course, then why would one take the Live class? Is tuition the same for the self-paced course?

Edited by vwsmith

• vwsmith changed the title to Question on House of Humane Letters Early Modern Literature Live Class with Angelina Stanford

The class is not primarily a discussion, but that does not mean there is no discussion. It is primarily a guided reading class. Ime, even if your student is not super-participatory, the live class is more fun. With a recording, your student has zero opportunity for participation. My student had always enjoyed the discussion. YMMV

Fwiw, with kids who struggle to keep up or manage time, the reality of a LIVE class helps keep them on track.  

@cintinative

• Like 1

I agree with @ScoutTN

My oldest took the live medieval class last year. If he had taken it as a self-paced he would have missed the opportunity to ask (in class) questions about things he wasn't sure about and/or to chime in when the teacher asked questions.  

I am not clear on if the self-paced includes the grading of the midterm and final. I assume so?

Since we started with HHL last year I have watched every class afterwards. So every Medieval class, every early modern class and every ancient lit class.  I do think something is lost in not doing it live. However, if that is all you can do because of scheduling conflicts, they are still great classes. 

One of the complications of not doing it live is sometimes things are typed in the chat box by the teacher and you have to go back and find them in the chat scripts.  Mr. Banks consistently posts those because he writes a lot in the chat box. I am not sure about Ms. Stanford. 

Ms. Stanford's classes are quite large--50 students or so. They are more like a lecture style class with some input from students at different points.   

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

@TheAttachedMamaThere is a midterm paper and a final paper which are graded by the teacher. I base their grade on that. In the course description I said the grade was based on participation and completion of the midterm and final. 

I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but I consider this one of our "easy" classes.  We have enough other classes that demonstrate rigor that I don't worry about this one.

@ScoutTN I would love to see your course description for this.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cintinative said:

@TheAttachedMamaThere is a midterm paper and a final paper which are graded by the teacher. I base their grade on that. In the course description I said the grade was based on participation and completion of the midterm and final. 

I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but I consider this one of our "easy" classes.  We have enough other classes that demonstrate rigor that I don't worry about this one.

Our transcript is from our umbrella school. I don’t have a formal course description document. Dd had been accepted to five universities and has received substantial merit aid and been invited to compete for other scholarships/honors college slots without one. No one ever asked for it.

Angelina’s classes are very light on output, but not light on thinking. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, cintinative said:

I totally understand that!  I think it is actually very healthy to "go tough" in some areas and to "go lighter" in others.  We do that too in our schedules.  

• Like 2