Menu

Real world math

Cararoe

I recently read the well trained mind book.  In the math section, she mentions including real world math once a week.  I purchased one of the books mentioned (family math), but its not what I was looking for.  They are 8 and 10.  The younger is in Saxon 3 and the older is in Saxon 7/6.  Does anyone have real world math recommendations to use along side Saxon?  

thank you in advance!

27 minutes ago, Cararoe said:

I recently read the well trained mind book.  In the math section, she mentions including real world math once a week.  I purchased one of the books mentioned (family math), but its not what I was looking for.  They are 8 and 10.  The younger is in Saxon 3 and the older is in Saxon 7/6.  Does anyone have real world math recommendations to use along side Saxon?  

thank you in advance!

I really liked Numberless Math Problems. We did them orally during dinner. It is a bit tricky because the difficulty of the problems are all mixed together, so I went through ahead of time and penciled in initials to tell me which problems were best suited to which children. When we were working through it my kids were ages 5 - 11, but their math levels were 1st grade through high school geometry. There were less problems appropriate for my oldest and youngest, but lots for the middle two at the mid-elementary to prealgebra/algebra levels.

Other real-world math resources I like are the Hands on Equations word problem book, the Bedtime Math books, Zaccaro's books like Becoming a Problem Solving Genius and Real World Algebra, University of Waterloo math circle materials, and Make It Real Learning Activities.

I disagree, I think that we should do Real World Math a few times a day. Let them read the clock, estimate and calculate time throughout the day.

We pointed out math, quantities and numbers in the real world all of the time. Aside from integrating manipulatives intelligently into our main math program and playing store a lot, we actively engaged and required the children to do the math when shopping (Order of Operations, Percents, Decimals), eating out (percents), cooking (fractions, order of operations, estimating) or looking at and considering the nutrition for their meals (adding/subtracting), looking at the weather (adding/subtracting integers).

When shopping or before opening the package at home we might look at serving size and calculate how long a snack will last. If the pack says it has 3.5 servings, and each serving is 8 crackers, about how crackers should we expect are in this package? (28). This snack has to be shared between 6 children at once. How many crackers will you each get? (4) how many can daddy and I have if we're sharing the left overs? (2 each).

When they're young we use tokens and items in jars and have them estimate the number in them.

We use cash and coins a lot and have the children to pay for the items at the store. Just hand them the purse or the wallet and have them watch the bill tally and total up. While shopping they keeping a running, estimated tab as we grocery shop and count out money ahead of getting to the register. We have them estimate how much tax to pay as well.

For my eldest, he now keeps an exact total and calculates the tax precisely. We also keep a bill book as a family and the kids can see how much we make, how much we pay out, etc. We work out the calculations long-hand, so if we save 18% of all income, they see us work that calculation out. (We take 10%, 5% and 1% using number sense and place-value) and add them up as needed. When our utility bill was unusually high, they watched as Hubby and I read over the bill and figured out what was up with that.

When drawing, we some times ask them to recreate a drawing at x-times bigger or y% larger/smaller than the original. They have to estimate and use proportional reasoning to accomplish this. If this birds eye was .5 inch in the original, but when you scaled it up, the eye is 2.5 inches, then how much bigger is this bird? Are the wings and feet also 5x bigger? If not, you need to fix the proportions so it looks as good as the original.

In addition to shining a spotlight on Math as tool used in our lives, and keeping Math in the forefront, we teach Arithmetic > Word Problems. We do a whole lot of word problems Process Skills in Problem Solving series, Kumon Word Problems, etc and the kids work every word problem. Then we use Forester for Algebra-Precalculus which has excellent word problems as well.

• Like 4