Menu

Can't decide on classic read aloud nature books for young children

moreschoolplease

The Burgess Bird Book was our absolute favorite read aloud EVER!!! We put up a bird feeder outside the window, got some identification books for local birds, and would watch youtube videos about whatever bird we learned about in the book. It was AWESOME. (there is ONE chapter that was a bit upsetting - we skipped it for my younger son who is sensitive - I think it was called "the theif" and was about a bird killing another bird's babies to take over the nest. Otherwise it was a great fit for all my kids from prek-5th. 

I am pretty sure you can get the first two options as free ebooks because they are in the public domain. Our boys really enjoyed all Burgess animal and bird books. I preferred Clara Dillingham Pierson books, there is a sweetness to her stories, and my kids liked them too. I highly recommend searching Librivox recordings (free app of public domain audiobooks). Our favorite readers were Jude Somers and John Lieder. My kids listened to the stories constantly when they were younger. 

4 hours ago, EssTreeB said:

I am pretty sure you can get the first two options as free ebooks because they are in the public domain. Our boys really enjoyed all Burgess animal and bird books. I preferred Clara Dillingham Pierson books, there is a sweetness to her stories, and my kids liked them too. I highly recommend searching Librivox recordings (free app of public domain audiobooks). Our favorite readers were Jude Somers and John Lieder. My kids listened to the stories constantly when they were younger. 

At what age did they start listening to the audiobooks? They didn't need to see pictures of the animals discussed?