Menu

transcripting a modified APUSH class

DS16 and I are doing APUSH at home this year.   I did AP course audit, we're using one of the suggested texts, and I and am following the outlines of the recommended syllabus.  

I also developed a parallel syllabus for a class on American Jewish history, which we're doing alongside the regular APUSH curriculum.  

What is the best way for me to describe this course on the transcript and course descriptions?  Should I break out the Jewish history course and list it separately, or can/should I describe them together?  Intellectually and pedagogically, it really is all one class, but of course the AP designation (including the AP exam) only pertains to the general material.  

Thanks for any guidance!

I would separate it out as a semester class (unless it warrants a whole credit of its own?).  That’s typically how people transcript something like the high school Build Your Library curricula, with multiple subject area credits for one very large curriculum.

• Thanks 1

I would break out the Jewish history to make it stand out on the transcript. Chances are nobody is gong to give your course descriptions more than a cursory glance. If you are completing an AP approved syllabus, that's its own credit right there. I would list the other as a semester class for an additional half credit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd also break it out as a half credit course if these are extra readings and assignments. There is supposed to be freedom within the APUSH curriculum to customize what students read as they go through certain time periods. A common example is to study local native peoples rather than a group several states away. I'm not sure how often classroom teachers have the time to do this.

But it could easily be worthy of additional credit. And what a fantastic idea for customizing. Would you consider sharing your reading list?

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2022 at 5:17 PM, Sebastian (a lady) said:

I A common example is to study local native peoples rather than a group several states away. I'm not sure how often classroom teachers have the time to do this.

But it could easily be worthy of additional credit. And what a fantastic idea for customizing. Would you consider sharing your reading list?

Thanks, this is a helpful analogy!

And of course, I'm happy to share.  Will send you a PM, as I doubt it's of widespread interest 🙂