Menu

Help! Is it spyware/virus or a real Norton's program? Antivirus 360

Tonight my hubby was using my dd's computer when a screen popped up for Antivirus 360 asking her to run/scan. It seemed to indicate that the computer had a virus that we needed to do "something" about. We had to work just to close out of it without running it--it kept asking to run. Then I went in and made sure her Norton's was updated and am running a full scan. I also noticed that her desktop now has a "Antivirus 360" icon. I tried to google it, but it seems to have some people calling it malevolent spyware; others say its the best/newest Nortons something-or-other.

Anyone know what this is?

Maybe the full scan will take care if it if it is something bad. Her Nortons scans daily...

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jean

Tonight my hubby was using my dd's computer when a screen popped up for Antivirus 360 asking her to run/scan. It seemed to indicate that the computer had a virus that we needed to do "something" about. We had to work just to close out of it without running it--it kept asking to run. Then I went in and made sure her Norton's was updated and am running a full scan. I also noticed that her desktop now has a "Antivirus 360" icon. I tried to google it, but it seems to have some people calling it malevolent spyware; others say its the best/newest Nortons something-or-other.

Anyone know what this is?

Maybe the full scan will take care if it if it is something bad. Her Nortons scans daily...

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jean

Pretty sure you'd have to purchase the real Norton 360. They wouldn't force you to use something you actually have to buy. I've been hit by PM with these types of "Urgent! You've been infected and must run this!" type messages by IM on Skype. Mimicking antivirus and anti-adware programs is the newest way for trojans to make their way into your system. I trust bleepingcomputer.com and they have a good explanation of the fake 360 here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-antivirus-360

Uninstall instructions are included.

I prefer AVG Free over any virus protection I can purchase. Consider downloading and running that instead of or even in addition to your Norton if you continue to have problems.

Barb

When you can let it run all day or all night go to Trend Micro and run their Free HouseCall. I have three separate spyware programs and and excellent antivirus but this still occasionally finds and removes malicious programming.

NEVER click on a pop up and disable them if you are able.

This program can take hours to run the first time. I would suggest that everyone run it monthly.

Also, my .02, anything made by Norton is useless at best, if you have it, I don't care if you paid for it, uninstall it.

Spybot S&D is free, scans, removes and immunizes against malicious programs

Avast personal antivirus is free and I have used it for years

Spyware Blaster also free, runs in the background

At my dd's college last year, they required all computers being used on their system have Nortons. With McAfee and Nortons on the same computer, her computer would crash and crash and crash....they said they would take the McAfee off. I never checked, but it is still there. No wonder it still crashes "unexplainably" yet. Grrrrr.

I am in the process of "fixing" McAfee (she still has a couple of years paid for), and then I am going to remove Nortons. I ran Nortons twice and the trojans and viruses are no longer showing up. I'll McAfee when it is up and working and then I'll go from there.

Thank you! I'll look into those other programs you've suggested...computers are so fun. Not.

Jean

McAfee is fine for antivirus but I was specifically listing free ones for you. It comes free with my comcast account and it is pretty decent for viruses but not great at spyware, greyware and malicious programs.

AVG is another good free one.

PM me if you need any help Jean.

So far, her computer seems to have settled down now that I've gotten McAfee working and Nortons removed. No sign of virus has returned. I'm guessing we've caught it...I hope so!

If I see problems, I'll ask more Q's.

Thanks everyone!

Jean

I just walked a friend through hacking her registry to get rid of this trojan last week. Quite delightful.

McAfee and Norton do not play nicely together. I'm actually surprised you could install Norton with McAfee still in residence. A few years ago, Norton was required for one of my customers' networks and I had to remove any trace of McAfee before it would install (had to go to the registry hacking place). Unfortunately, Norton - at least earlier iterations - doesn't play nicely with some popular VPN clients, either.

Anyway, here's a link to an explanation and how to remove it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-antivirus-360