Menu

The hound dog is going to be the death of me

ktgrok

54 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

First, I'm now calling border collies border "cookies" after that typo. 

Second, yes, poodles are so smart - there is.a reason they were circus dogs!

I hate my kindle! 😠 The autocorrect is nuts.

And I broke the middle finger of my dominate hand last night!

Border cookie works though. I like it. I once cared for a group of llamas, and the new Cria was named cookie. Darn cute little baby.

I think typos are going to be the bane of my existence for a few weeks now. How is your wrist? Pain levels okay? My finger is still throbbing like crazy. 😬

19 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I hate my kindle! 😠 The autocorrect is nuts.

And I broke the middle finger of my dominate hand last night!

Border cookie works though. I like it. I once cared for a group of llamas, and the new Cria was named cookie. Darn cute little baby.

I think typos are going to be the bane of my existence for a few weeks now. How is your wrist? Pain levels okay? My finger is still throbbing like crazy. 😬

man ai sympathize! I can sort of type now..but not well. coordination isn't great on that hand, and splint limits movement, and it starts to hurt after a few minutes. 

Pain is better, but trying to wean off the nsaids due to bariatric surgery which sucks. Down to one otc aleve a day. That's 220 mg. I was prescribed 500 twice a day...instead only took 220 twice a day, now down to 1 a day. By the end of the day I'm hurting some, but last night I put some icy hot type stuff on it, under the splint, and that helped distract me enough to sleep. Hematoma is going way way down, which was what was pressing on things I think, causing the inability to use my fingers, and swelling "up stream" in my hand. Three fingers and knuckle are still bruised - not sure why they are purple still when the rest of the big bruises are fading to yellow. Maybe damaged capillaries still? Gravity? Not sure. But very glad they work now - my fingers not working was what was really freaking me out. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

This thread is so NOT encouraging for a new hound owner like myself!

At almost 4 months our little guy (lab-coon hound mix) will now sit on command WITHOUT a food bribe.  We are working hard on 'COME'... he likes to take shoes and toys and run around our kitchen island playing keep-away from us...

We are so hoping the lab half of him will dominate the hound half...

Right now he is cuddled up next to our German Shepherd and they are quietly playing 'My Mouth is Bigger than Yours'... at least they bonded quickly

You have to convince hounds why what you want them to do is beneficial for them. They aren't motivated at all to do something just because it would make their human happy. That's just not something in their genes. I'm not particularly impressed by anyone who can train a dog of a breed that's been bred for centuries to be a people pleaser. Easy peasy, yawn, ho hum. Show me someone who can train a hound and I know I'm looking at a really good trainer.

What you call "my mouth is bigger than yours" we call "jaw jousting." Just watch out for collars--jaw jousting and dogs wearing collars can lead to disaster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

You have to convince hounds why what you want them to do is beneficial for them. They aren't motivated at all to do something just because it would make their human happy. That's just not something in their genes. I'm not particularly impressed by anyone who can train a dog of a breed that's been bred for centuries to be a people pleaser. Easy peasy, yawn, ho hum. Show me someone who can train a hound and I know I'm looking at a really good trainer.

What you call "my mouth is bigger than yours" we call "jaw jousting." Just watch out for collars--jaw jousting and dogs wearing collars can lead to disaster.

Well, and first you have to get their attention! Weims and other hunt/point/retrieve breeds need a "reason" as well, they are not natural people pleasers either. But, they will at least consider your request before deciding if they want to do it or not. The dang hound doesn't even consider my request as worthy of his attention half the time. I swear he has doggy ADHD - I will take him outside to pee and he sniffs something that walked across the ground 8 hours ago and forgets to pee - sometimes mid pee! Or will insist on staring in a direction where he saw a human walk a dog 24 hours ago just in case it reappears. (hence the need for the fence - or blinders, lol)

He again put himself in his kennel, door closed. I didn't think about it until DH came and told me the dog had pooped on the table again. Yes, the table. He's so dang tall he can hit the onxy coffee table with his poop. (which is how we know it is him, lol - none of the other dogs are tall enough)

He also peed. Even though he'd peed outside twice. Guess I will have DS take in a urine sample when he fills in on a shift at the vet clinic tomorrow. Although given how long he can hold it when he wants to I am not counting on that, and it wouldn't explain the pooping. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Well, and first you have to get their attention! Weims and other hunt/point/retrieve breeds need a "reason" as well, they are not natural people pleasers either. But, they will at least consider your request before deciding if they want to do it or not. The dang hound doesn't even consider my request as worthy of his attention half the time. I swear he has doggy ADHD - I will take him outside to pee and he sniffs something that walked across the ground 8 hours ago and forgets to pee - sometimes mid pee! Or will insist on staring in a direction where he saw a human walk a dog 24 hours ago just in case it reappears. (hence the need for the fence - or blinders, lol)

He again put himself in his kennel, door closed. I didn't think about it until DH came and told me the dog had pooped on the table again. Yes, the table. He's so dang tall he can hit the onxy coffee table with his poop. (which is how we know it is him, lol - none of the other dogs are tall enough)

He also peed. Even though he'd peed outside twice. Guess I will have DS take in a urine sample when he fills in on a shift at the vet clinic tomorrow. Although given how long he can hold it when he wants to I am not counting on that, and it wouldn't explain the pooping. 

I think anxiety meds plus weed dog treats is the way to go! 😁

• Like 1

I told DH about how someone here reminded me that this is hard on the dog - having to go on a leash after never doing that, change of living arrangements, etc etc. And then I said, "but I'm having a hard time too, and I don't pee and poop on HIS stuff!"

To which DH replied, "well, you do pee and poop in his favorite water bowl all the time."

LOL! Fair. 

• Haha 4

so...we found a reward he actually cares about! If he poops and pees outside he gets to go upstairs when he comes inside! We have not been letting the dogs up there since it is carpet, and pee and poop is even worse on carpet than the hard floors downstairs. But he loves to hang out on the memory foam beanbag in DS9's room, or a human bed. So, the last few times he pooped I let him go up there, and now when he poops he comes in and runs to the gate at the stairs, then when I open it he BOUNDS up there 3 stairs at a time and runs around all happy before settling in on a soft spot. So..maybe this is the key!!! (he will not take treats/meat/cheese/etc routinely, nor dog treats, so those do not work for rewards, and he doesn't like toys either...part of why he is so hard to train)

• Like 6