Menu

Diagramming Latin?

Who here diagrams Latin? Is there a resource out there to use? Have you found it beneficial in getting the grammar down?

I am thinking some parts are complicated due to the differences between Latin grammar and English grammar. How have you worked around that (just put the ending in the spot?). 

Henle latin shows diagramming; you can see a nice sample of Henle on google books... https://www.google.com/books/edition/Henle_Latin_First_Year/FSAeb6bNqesC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=Henle+Latin&printsec=frontcover

I don't have anyone diagram Latin until they have English grammar/diagramming down pretty well.  I don't use Latin grammar to teach English grammar; any intersecting of the two is just a nice little bonus when it happens. If anything, I relate Latin back to the English they already know. 

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

We diagram Latin - I've found it to be useful.  It's a good way to work with the grammar without going straight to translating.  We change up the main line order a bit to follow the usual Latin S-O-V order, and we use an asterisk to indicate where a word is implied, such as when the subject is implied by the verb. 

E.g. Nautam sum.

*  |  nautam  | sum

But otherwise we basically follow English diagramming rules - whatever the word is doing in the sentence, English or Latin, it's diagrammed in the same way.  The only times we've had problems is when we weren't sure what a given form *was* doing in the sentence <shifty>, which is a bigger problem than just not knowing how to diagram it.  It's why I like diagramming - you can't fool yourself into thinking you understand it while you are actually iffy on parts, because the parts of the sentence you can't put on the diagram are generally the parts you are iffy on, and the diagramming brings it to light.

ETA: Resource-wise, The New First Steps in Latin has an appendix on diagramming.

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 1

Thanks we just finished GSWL and are moving into Keep Going next week. 

Henle looks like what I think we should follow on with. I don't want too much diagramming just some. 

What ages would you say can do Henle year 1? Is this too much for a sixth grader? We would probably do it slower than what the book has planned. DS has found Latin somewhat easy as he has done a lot of this mental work in his second language already. (Mind you there is still a struggle it isn't a piece of cake) 

Henle is fine for a motivated 6th grader; the guides from Memoria break it down into bite sized pieces with lots of review scheduled in.

You could do GSWL in reverse (spend time translating the English back into Latin) if you needed/wanted to buy more time before doing Henle.

And another one of my favorites is good old Latin Book One by Scott and Horn; it's an OOP oldie but goodie that used to be on Yahoo but is now on a Facebook page... 

Latin Book One does not have any diagramming, but I really do like the readings and translation work.  My oldest did Latin Book One and was doing very well with it.  We switched to Henle in high school because *I* needed something that had a daily schedule and was more hands off for me as a teacher (I had five school aged kids at the time and *something* had to give...)

• Like 1