Menu

phonics readers that roughly correlate with AAR levels?

gck21

Does anyone have a recommendation for enjoyable phonics readers? I have a 6 year old who hasn't made the leap to fluent reading. She is halfway through AAR2 and would love to read books other than the AAR readers, but I am finding it difficult to find any that introduce phonograms in a similar way. Most "easy reader" books include a lot of words she can't yet decode  (vowel teams, -le words, and words ending in -y come to mind). She has been introduced to the vowel team ee, and we just started words with -er. I think it would help boost her confidence if I could find some other readers for her. The AAR stories are long and interesting (unlike a lot of phonics readers!), but I think she views them as part of the reading program and so not "real reading".

ProgressivePhonics.com I don't believe goes in the same exact order as AAR, but you still might find it helpful, and it's free.   It's color coded so they read the words with phonics concepts they've covered, and you read the rest.   You could go through and underline the words that she hasn't learned in cases where the order is different, and that would help. 

There are clear white post it notes you can use to mark up sections, and thin clear colored post it notes can be used to "highlight" temporarily, without harming the book.  I've used these to highlight other fairly easy to read books in a similar way.  I've done that with Go Dog Go, and after learning ee sound, Sheep in a Jeep.   I've also done that with some Piggie and Elephant books, which my son loved around that stage (I didn't  color code those initially...just had him read one part and me read another, and I told him to just pause if he needed help with a word and I'd say it for him, which works too.   I color coded for a girl I'm tutoring though.   Both ways work.).

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 8:04 PM, goldenecho said:

There are clear white post it notes you can use to mark up sections, and thin clear colored post it notes can be used to "highlight" temporarily, without harming the book.

Our house is covered in post its of all sizes (and this particular child uses post its like crazy), and I have never seen clear ones! A great stocking stuffer! 🙂

Thank you everyone for the suggestions so far!

• Like 1