Menu

MUS usage question

mamato9

I want to suppliment with mus. Can I use just the videos to help with explaining concepts. My younger students use Horizons and my older kids use Saxon. I myself am a very visual person. So I thought if I could see someone else explaining a math concept, I would feel more confident. Or are the mus videos too linked to the other materials,.

Thanks

Lora

It takes time to figure out which MUS lessons would link up with your "spine" math lessons, and there wouldn't be a video to go with every single "spine" math lesson, BUT... it is possible, especially if you use the OLD MUS levels -- it sounds like you'd be looking at both the OLD MUS Primary (gr. 1,2,3 topics) and the OLD MUS Intermediate (gr. 4,5,6). Because the NEW MUS levels really focus on a single math topic, and in a different sequence than most other math programs, I just don't think you'd get your money's worth out of a single level of MUS, or it would just be too expensive to buy 6 NEW levels of MUS to skip around in.

Do be aware that, yes, the videos are visual are very helpful in explaining the "why" behind the math concepts, BUT, if you aren't using the accompanying blocks and workbooks, it might just end up being confusing -- I think to successfully use MUS as a supplement, you would want both of those.

I do know that several people here have used Horizons and Singapore simultaneously; I would imagine *someone* must be using Horizons with MUS...

All that said, I am currently using the new MUS Algebra as a supplement to Jacobs Algebra for our very visual-spatial learner who struggles with abstract math. We seem to do 2-8 lessons in Jacobs, and then do 1-3 lessons in MUS that match up with the topics covered in the Jacobs.

BEST of luckk in deciding

Edited by Lori D.
added info.

Yes, you could use the videos but you would probably have to buy all of the levels to match up with your other programs and that would be cost prohibitive.

My only suggestion was to consider searching youtube (or similar website) for some videos of the topics (dividing fractions, determining average, etc.) you are interested in learning more about so that you could watch it and then be better able to teach your children. It won't be as good as MUS :) but it might be a "good enough" alternative.

I do know that several people here have used Horizons and Singapore simultaneously; I would imagine *someone* must be using Horizons with MUS...

Guilty as charged. I just started back with Horizons today. We dropped it for MUS and now we are doing both. DD hates the MUS student worksheets. I would think that without the blocks it would be hard (but you could possibly make your own IMO). One lesson I have run across had more information in the manual than was on the DVD. The student sheets are definitely not needed. I would probably give it a go. HTH!

We just watch MUS. You certainly couldn't *just* watch it as your only math program, but to *supplement* another full program, it works great. We get a different perspective. Mr. Steve is a great teacher, and the videos are short. You will learn from just watching them. At least we do.

ETA: Oh. We make no effort to match up the MUS topics with our spine curriculum. We just watch them in order. It all works out in the end, and that has caused us no confusion to date.

Thank you all,

I think what I may end up doing is slowly gather the DVD's like Cadam did. I'm in a co-op that uses Horizons that is why I need to stick with it but I really want to use MUS. I have some blocks already and would love to add more for manipulatives anyway. I really wouldn't mind going through the DVD's straight through and just work on Horizons as a suppliment. I think that would work in the lower grades. For my kids using Saxon I am leaning more toward Life Of Fred.

Thanks again

Lora