Menu

WTMAcademy course descriptions/certificates

JD1

My son currently takes most of his courses from the WTMA.  Recently the academy received accreditation, although apparently we will still complete and submit his H.S. transcript and course descriptions on the College App as a homeschooler. Here are 2 questions:

1. For the course descriptions on the College App, I am considering using the complete WTMA course syllabi. They are quite lengthy so perhaps that is too much?

2. WTMA provides course certificates for each course which includes grades. I'm wondering in any of you WTMA parents are submitting those on the College App?

Thanks for any responses.

John

My son who's applying to colleges now just took one WTMA class; I used the course description from the website, but not the entire syllabus (I think that would be too much unless someone asks to see it). That was pre-accreditation so I just included it on his homeschool transcript and noted that it was completed through WTMA. My 10th grader is taking two core classes this year, so I'll likely submit whatever documentation I have that he took the classes somewhere accredited and what grades he earned (in addition to including them on his homeschool transcript) (I'd assumed I could request a transcript from WTMA, but maybe the course certificates are how they handle that?) 

Thanks for the quick reply! My understanding is that WTMA will not issue transcripts. They do send you a completion certificate for each course a student finishes. Regarding the syllabi, I am leaning towards taking the WTMA example syllabus, and then paring it down a bit, probably deleting the weekly schedule.  I find their syllabi to be very complete and well written.

Here is an example of one course...too much?

Course Descriptions

Well-Trained Mind Academy

Algebra II Honors - Thinking Algebraically

Instructor: Heather Quintero    (credits 1.0)     Full Year 2019-2020       Grade: A-

Required Texts:
• Rusczyk, Richard; Introduction to Algebra. Alpine, CA: Art of Problem Solving Incorporated, 2010
(ISBN: 978-1-934124-14-7)
Text covers both Algebra I and Algebra II topics. This course will cover chapters 13-22.

• Rusczyk, Richard and Crawford, Matthew; Intermediate Algebra. Alpine, CA: Art of Problem Solving Incorporated, 2013 (ISBN: 978-1-934124-04-8)

Prerequisite: Completion of WTMA AoPS Algebra 1, AoPS Algebra A, or a similar rigorous or honors level Algebra 1 course. If you have previously completed a different Algebra I course, please take the readiness test: https://data.artofproblemsolving.com/course-docs/diagnostics/algebra-b-pretest.pdf

Course Description: Prepares the student for challenging upper level courses such as Number Theory, Geometry, Intermediate Algebra, Pre-Calculus, and other exciting classes. Algebra 2 focuses on problem-solving, logic, and engagement with upper-level math to foster in-depth understanding and enjoyment. The class will strengthen the student’s ability to wrestle with tough problems and explain answers in words. Topics include but are not limited to: complex numbers, graphing quadratics, quadratic optimization, graphing functions, inverse functions, operations with polynomials, logarithms, exponential functions, special manipulations.

Students are expected to come to class prepared to discuss problems and to work individually and in groups to solve assigned problems. To that end, the lesson addressed during a class should have been reviewed by the student prior to class. Students should expect to spend 6-8 hours each week completing assignments for this class in addition to scheduled class times. 

Course Assignments: Assignments consist of problems from the text to be completed at home and submitted via Blackboard as well as online problems. Several problems each week involve a proof-type response where a written solution, showing and explaining steps taken to arrive at a final answer, must be given. In addition, students will participate in regular discussion challenges. Extra practice will be given as needed to aid learning using Alcumus, a free review game provided through the Art of Problem Solving site. Regular tests consist of no more than 20 problems, similar to those found in the texts. Active participation during the weekly class times is expected and will be counted for a percentage of a student’s overall grade.
Sample problems are found here: 

Introduction to Algebra - Sample questions

Intermediate Algebra - Sample questions

Grading, Correcting and Accommodations: Solutions to online problems will be provided. Students will be expected to rework problems they have missed may re-submit work to improve a grade prior to the due date. Assignments will be available for a minimum of 10 days. Late work will receive a letter grade reduction (10 points) for every day that the work is late, up to seven days. (For example, work due on a Friday which is submitted on a Monday will receive a grade of no more than 70%, if the grade would have been 80%, the late grade is 50%.) After seven days, late work will not be accepted. Students are responsible to seek help when needed and the instructor is available to meet with students for extra help by appointment. If a student has a disability that may have some impact on work in this class and for which he or she may require accommodations, please contact the instructor prior to the first week of class.

Grades will be based on:

Homework - 50% (30% - regular homework questions, 20% - proof problems)
Discussion response questions - 15%
Class Engagement and Participation - 10%
Regular Tests/Exams - 25%

Welcome! I see by your post count you are new. 😄 

Yes, too much. Think of the poor college admissions officers having to wade through all that -- they do NOT care about how the course is delivered (Blackboard), and late work policies. 😉

I would streamline it to the course title (matched to what you list on the transcript), course provider, list of major resources/texts used for the course, and an overall description of the course objective and topics. Keep it to a short paragraph -- 3-4 sentences at most. The only time you need something more detailed is if it is unique or speciality course -- Honors Algebra II does not fall in the unique or speciality course category. 😉

Example of streamlining the WTM syllabus to a concise course description:

Algebra II Honors: Thinking Algebraically

course provider / instructor: Well-Trained Mind Academy / Heather Quintero
year / credit / grade:  2019-2020 / 1.0 credit / A-

course description:
As an Honors course, the emphasis is on strengthening the student's ability to wrestle with tough problems and explain answers in words; and to prepare the student for challenging upper level courses. Major topics in this course include: complex numbers, graphing quadratics, quadratic optimization, graphing functions, inverse functions, operations with polynomials, logarithms, exponential functions, and special manipulations.

required texts:
• Rusczyk, Richard; Introduction to Algebra. Alpine, CA: Art of Problem Solving Incorporated, 2010
• Rusczyk, Richard and Crawford, Matthew; Intermediate Algebra. Alpine, CA: Art of Problem Solving Incorporated, 2013

-- OR, even more streamlined, since the year/credit/grade will be on the transcript:

Algebra II Honors: Thinking Algebraically
Well-Trained Mind Academy (course provider)
An Honors level course that emphasized strengthening the student's ability to wrestle with tough problems and explain answers in words, as well preparation  for challenging upper level courses. Major topics in this course included: complex numbers, graphing quadratics, quadratic optimization, graphing functions, inverse functions, operations with polynomials, logarithms, exponential functions, and special manipulations. Textbooks used: Introduction to Algebra, and, Intermediate Algebra (by Richard Rusczyk; Art of Problem Solving Inc.)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Hi Lori, Thanks so much! After thinking about it your approach makes alot of sense.  Our only son is now an 11th grader, so all of this is new and overwhelming to me.  I have been reading and exploring this forum for a few months now, and the information and perspectives the participants offer is really priceless to me.  Fortunately we have a year to try and understand all of these nuances and details.  Your help is much appreciated!

John

It's great that you are getting started on descriptions now. They are better to do when you aren't feeling rushed. 

I agree with Lori that the full WTM description is too long. 

College admissions officers only have 10-20 minutes to review each application. Your goal is to give them the context and detail they need, but not so much that it dilutes the most important information. 

For course descriptions, any course with some standard canon (like most math courses) needs just a brief paragraph with a topic outline and perhaps a textbook. College admission folks aren't going to read a detailed description of a course where scope and sequence are pretty standardized. 
For a homemade course with a title that does not suggest a canon ("Medieval history and literature", "Environmental issues in the Ozarks") I would provide more info.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3