Menu

Would you share your writing sequence for K-12?

rafiki

Well I'm not going to be much help because my oldest is going into K next yr. I am really interested in this thread though. I've found my Language arts track to be more difficult to map out than my math and science track.

We will be starting writing instruction in K with rWiteshop Primary A. It says to do it 3 times a week. Now if we don't like Writeshop Primary my options are Writing with Ease(k-3), Voyages in English(1-8) or Stack the deck(1-12).

I'm also interested in Writing tales that is for 3-6 grades, Wordsmith series (4-12), Curious Case of the Misplaced modifier(highschool)

So as you can see I'm confused and can't wait to see what others have to say.

I am only up to 7th so far, but here's my plan. Writing and grammar are "my thing," so we tend toward overkill :)

K-2 copywork and dictation only, read lots and lots and lots of quality literature

3-6 continue with quality literature, use IEW each year, also book reports and letters and poetry written frequently

7-8 progym (using Classical Composition so far) and keep up wtih IEW, book critiques written (IEW style)

9-12 will use progym, IEW's more advanced materials, probably WriteShop or Wordsmith at some point, focus on SAT essay at some point

My dc all love to write. They do it constantly, even when I haven't assigned anything. We are a literature and writing oriented family (except one dd lves all things science and one loves all things math as well.) I credit not forcing it on them at a young age. They jsut did free-writing on their own up unti a gentle intro in 3rd, but then I ramp it up seriously in 5th and 6th grade to prepare for high school level work.

We're still early in the game but here are my thoughts:

After letter formation is established we will start with simple copywork. When I feel they are ready we will start using WWE. I think we'll either continue with WWE or switch over to Writing Tales/Classical Writing around 3rd grade. We'll use one of those options all of the way through.

K-2 - Copywork/Dictation

3 - CW Aesop A

4 - CW Aesop B, Sentence Island

5 - CW Homer A, CW Poetry IA, Paragraph Town

6 - CW Homer B, CW Poetry IB, Essay Voyage

7 - CW Diogenes Maxim, CW Poetry IIA, Academic Writing I

8 - CW Diogenes Chereia, CW Poetry IIB, Academic Writing II

9 - CW Herodotus, CW Shakespeare A, Academic Writing III

10 - CW Plutrach, CW Shakespeare B

11 - CW Demosthenes, CW Poetry IIIA

12 - CW Demosthenes, CW Poetry IIIB

In determining writing assignments for history, science and literature, I combine what we have learned in our writing curriculum and the WTM suggestions for that grade.

My oldest is still in Homer, so I don't know if this schedule will hold up in the long run. I did find after adding my 3rd child into the mix that I wanted more open and go curriculum that still met my high standards. I find these two programs do just that. Trying to pull together my own thing for each child and for each subject was just eating too much of my time. We were becoming a family consumed by homeschooling. :)

As to what I have learned: I tried to put my oldest dd into CW early (1st grade) because she was an early writer. I won't try that again. She is now on my schedule above and a much happier person. Third grade is already early and I don't find we need any more than 15-18 short writing assignments in 3rd grade (CW Aesop A) and nothing more than copywork and dictation before that.

ETA: All of my children have been early writers and love writing. Even dd5 is working through the Draw Write Now series on her own, for fun. I made my curriculum choices knowing that my kids enjoy writing and could handle a large amount of writing in their daily work. I may have chosen differently if my children were reluctant writers or found the act of writing difficult for any reason.

Edited by Melissa B

When do you begin to teach formal writing?

I'm not certain how "formal" writing is defined, so I would say that we begin in 1st grade with oral narration skills and copywork. But from about two years old, they each have their own notebook with their name on it to carry around. At first, they just imitate the others and scribble in it, then they ask how to make letters and I write it for them and they copy it over and over, eventually they're asking how to spell words and I dictate words for them to write down, and then I show them how a sentence looks and they learn how to put sentences together, and soon after that they discover the joy of writing "stories". We draw pictures and I help them write what they want about what's going on with the pictures.

What materials do you use or do you plan to use for each grade level?

This one is hard for me to say also, because I'm still researching, experimenting, and fine-tuning our plan. Right now, I plan on staying with WWE for my three youngest, and will probably switch to IEW for the rest of my oldest son's schooling. Either that or he'll take Write @ Home online classes.

But you never know what works for one child until you've used it awhile and that can change as you go along. I have also looked at Classical Writing and Writing Tales for my younger set, and I like Rod and Staff and will most likely use it for grammar as my younger kids get older, and the writing instruction there looks good too.

Do you combine mulitple programs in a given school year or alternate programs each year for variety?

The only way I can see us combining, is by using some of the R&S exercises (if we do use it with the younger kids- still pondering that), along with WWE if I see that R&S fills something in. My oldest is using WriteShop and we use some of the R&S writing exercises as reinforcement or as a supplement. Also, I might end up adding something else in for creative writing. I don't feel creative writing is necessary at all for a child who doesn't like it, but my kids love it, and so do I. So far I've made up fun, creative writing projects for us to do but I'm not very consistent about it so I've been looking at some things from Evan-Moor that my kids would love, and will add those to a regular writing program. (The making books stuff and Draw, then write look like something they would like).

How often do you have writing class?

My oldest does writing with WriteShop right now four or five days a week. (We like WriteShop a lot for him, but it only goes through two years of instruction). My 8 and 6 year olds do WWE 4 days a week, which is copywork on two days, and narration work the other two days.

Is the program you use open and go or do you prefer to write your own lesson plans?

I can do either, but right now we're using open and go. I do tweak though.

Do your dc enjoy writing?

Yes!

What have you learned from the first dc you homeschooled in how you approach teaching writing?

I've been so concerned with my oldest learning how to write a sold essay and research paper in preparation for college, that I've forgotten to keep it fun too. For a child who doesn't like writing, the basics are probably all you want to focus on, but my oldest enjoys creative writing as much as his siblings and I've overlooked providing that outlet for him and giving him the time to do that, so I'm going to start making sure we get a little bit of free writing time in for him each week. Now I've learned not to neglect that with my other kids. I own The Writer's Jungle and need to read through it again.

Thanks for posting this, it really helped me think through a few things!

For some reason, it seems like every time I reply to one of Michele's threads, I kill it. Could someone please save me from being a thread killer again and share your writing sequence? I was looking forward to reading more responses! (I was going to insert pleading smilie here but there doesn't seem to be one. :tongue_smilie:)

I have a question to add to this thread.

I didn't do copy work with my first - I remember doing it in school myself from 1st grade

all the way through highschool, and finding it deadly dull. But of course, ds 10 now shows

serious lack in writing. I realise I should have taken WTM's advise and done it from the first.

Ah well.

So with ds10 I am now starting right back at the beginning, using the evaluation at the end of

WWE 1 and holding thumbs that he will "pass" onto WWE 2.

My question is this : dc seem to do an awful lot of writing, is all of this really necessary ?

dc do spelling each day - using Phonetic Zoo.

R&S grammar - for their appropriate grade.

Handwriting practice, half a page three times a week from Getty Dubai.

now I will add copywork (none are yet ready for dictation) with narration - using WWE.

ds10 and dd8 work through the Remedia book on Outlining twice a week each.

Outlining in History for ds10, and narrations for the next two.

This just seems like an awful lot of writing, especially for a writing phobic boy who thinks this is all :angry::glare::bored:

Okay, we're not up to formal writing yet, but here's my tentative plan (disclaimer: this may be overkill, I don't know):

K/1 - dictation/copywork/narration

2 - PLL

3 - PLL + Sentence Island and a few MBTP lit units

4 - either ILL + Paragraph Town and a few MBTP lit units or MCT LA + MBTP lit units

5 - either ILL + Essay Voyage and a few MBTP lit units or MCT LA + MBTP lit units

6 - MCT LA + MBTP lit units

7/8 - MCT LA

Starting about 4th grade, I want to add in Karen Andreola's Story Starters for variety and enjoyment.

My question is this : dc seem to do an awful lot of writing, is all of this really necessary ?

dc do spelling each day - using Phonetic Zoo.

R&S grammar - for their appropriate grade.

Handwriting practice, half a page three times a week from Getty Dubai.

now I will add copywork (none are yet ready for dictation) with narration - using WWE.

ds10 and dd8 work through the Remedia book on Outlining twice a week each.

Outlining in History for ds10, and narrations for the next two.

This just seems like an awful lot of writing, especially for a writing phobic boy who thinks this is all :angry::glare::bored:

Well, I don't think this seems like too much for a ten year old, unless you are doing additional writing in other subjects. I know that many people do at least part of R&S grammar orally. If he is writing all of the exercises I would start there for eliminating some writing.

So your daily writing:

1 day per week:

spelling

some grammar

1/2 page of handwriting

history outline or narration

2 days per week:

spelling

some grammar

copywork

Remedia outlining book

2 days per week:

spelling

some grammar

1/2 page handwriting

copywork

If it were too much, I would be flexible on the handwriting. Maybe he would rather do it on the weekend, if he has no other schoolwork? Or perhaps before breakfast or after dinner would be a better time? Maybe keep it for summer (if you break for summer) - a good way to keep up hand strength over the summer and lighten his load over the school year?

And I would also look into doing the grammar orally. Not using the curriculum myself, I can't be too specific on that. But I have heard that many people use it that way - successfully.

K-2 - Copywork/Dictation

3 - CW Aesop A

4 - CW Aesop B, Sentence Island

5 - CW Homer A, CW Poetry IA, Paragraph Town

6 - CW Homer B, CW Poetry IB, Essay Voyage

7 - CW Diogenes Maxim, CW Poetry IIA, Academic Writing I

8 - CW Diogenes Chereia, CW Poetry IIB, Academic Writing II

9 - CW Herodotus, CW Shakespeare A, Academic Writing III

10 - CW Plutrach, CW Shakespeare B

11 - CW Demosthenes, CW Poetry IIIA

12 - CW Demosthenes, CW Poetry IIIB

In determining writing assignments for history, science and literature, I combine what we have learned in our writing curriculum and the WTM suggestions for that grade.

My oldest is still in Homer, so I don't know if this schedule will hold up in the long run. I did find after adding my 3rd child into the mix that I wanted more open and go curriculum that still met my high standards. I find these two programs do just that. Trying to pull together my own thing for each child and for each subject was just eating too much of my time. We were becoming a family consumed by homeschooling. :)

As to what I have learned: I tried to put my oldest dd into CW early (1st grade) because she was an early writer. I won't try that again. She is now on my schedule above and a much happier person. Third grade is already early and I don't find we need any more than 15-18 short writing assignments in 3rd grade (CW Aesop A) and nothing more than copywork and dictation before that.

ETA: All of my children have been early writers and love writing. Even dd5 is working through the Draw Write Now series on her own, for fun. I made my curriculum choices knowing that my kids enjoy writing and could handle a large amount of writing in their daily work. I may have chosen differently if my children were reluctant writers or found the act of writing difficult for any reason.

Excellent schedule!

I have no idea what classical writing is, but now I have to go and check it out

Thanks a lot!!! ;)

We've enjoyed success with these:

Draw Write Now books are a friendly introduction to writing and illustration

Draw Then Write (the kids love these)

Writing Strands series

Writing Poetry with Children

Poetry Writing Handbook

Wordsmith series

Our dc work through all of these and go on to really enjoy writing in their adult lives.