Menu

Rooted in Language teacher training classes

Have any of you done the "Rooted in Language" training courses? https://www.rootedinlanguage.com/online-classes

I'm super curious about the grammar and word study classes.   I've taken OG training, but I don't feel like either of these topics were covered in depth in the training I took, and I am intrigued by the way that Rooted in Language approaches these topics.  But I also have a degree in English and have certainly taught grammar to my older kids, so I don't want to pay $129/class to listen to content that will seem obvious.   I guess I am looking for feedback on how helpful or inspiring these classes might be.  

(Will x-post on the general board as well).

See if @kbutton has anything to add, because I think her ds did intervention with someone using the materials. I think the question is just who the materials would be used with. They're probably fine intervention for some kids and not enough for other situations, which is the case with basically any tool, lol. 

Maybe start low, start with one, so you're not disappointed? Have you looked on youtube to see if there are any free recordings of her maybe from convention talks? Or maybe she has spoken at ASHA and you can find the powerpoints? That would give you a good sense of how she rolls and how informative the materials will be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

See if @kbutton has anything to add, because I think her ds did intervention with someone using the materials. I think the question is just who the materials would be used with. They're probably fine intervention for some kids and not enough for other situations, which is the case with basically any tool, lol. 

Maybe start low, start with one, so you're not disappointed? Have you looked on youtube to see if there are any free recordings of her maybe from convention talks? Or maybe she has spoken at ASHA and you can find the powerpoints? That would give you a good sense of how she rolls and how informative the materials will be.

We haven't used her materials, but I have talked to her in person and watched some recorded sessions of hers that were available through one of those free online conferences (before seeing her in person). I know people who have used her stuff and used her for therapy, and their kids did really well with it.

Her stuff is more open-ended than I care for in some regards (writing, literature), but I was looking for help with a student with ASD vs. dyslexia. I think her sessions are kind of pricey, but if they give you the tools to do what you need to do, it's far cheaper than multiple therapy sessions. She has an online community as well.

I am not sure how available her conference sessions are, but they were good information. She tends to cite sources/principles for her approaches when she answers questions in her groups. She highly encourages helping kids develop their own notebook of tools to consult when they need them, which I think is fantastic. 

If I had known about her grammar bugs before I was well into grammar, I would've tried them. They look like fun.

The word study stuff is about breaking words into prefixes, suffixes, etc. All solid stuff.

In your shoes, I would buy intro word study and intro grammar stuff and just try it. I wouldn't watch a session. You'll see the gist of the materials and run with them, I think. 

• Like 1