Menu

Aops academy online - language arts?

Mom_to3

I have been lurking here for a long time (we've been homeschooling for a long time), but this is my first time posting. Does anybody here have any experience with the language arts online courses at Aops academy online? We are a huge fan of Aops, but haven't found any reviews of these courses. Thanks!

5 hours ago, Mom_to3 said:

I have been lurking here for a long time (we've been homeschooling for a long time), but this is my first time posting. Does anybody here have any experience with the language arts online courses at Aops academy online? We are a huge fan of Aops, but haven't found any reviews of these courses. Thanks!

I haven't seen reviews, but honestly, I wouldn't. They are such a math-focused company that I don't think I'd want to try their English stuff. 

That being said, I bet you'll find people who've actually done the classes. This is more from my general impression of them from having taught math for them online. 

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, hina said:

I know this is way late to the post but this poetry jam just happened this past week and it might give you a preview/taste of what their language arts program is like: https://artofproblemsolving.com/school/mathjams-transcripts?id=602

Whoa, a poetry jam! That's... interesting 😄 

ETA: that'd be the online classes more than the Academy, though. 

Edited by Not_a_Number

• 1 year later...

1.5 years late to the game, but my daughter just finished one semester of AOPS' online honors 4th grade language arts class. I have to say, despite the high price ticket, the course is very impressive! Moreover, my daughter, and (from the sounds of it) most of her classmates, thoroughly enjoyed the course and want more! That said, the course is quite advanced and rigorous for the grade level AOPS pegged it at. The class projects were 1) A subtly persuasive play and 2) a time travel livestream of a historical research topic (they got to choose from three options and research material was provided). My husband and I both went through public school systems (my daughter is homeschooled and advanced in both reading and language arts according to assessment tests) and we were a bit awed by the writing projects. I would place the writing projects at middle school level. There's quite a bit of reading involved as well. Reading comprehension is through online quizzes. Vocabulary and advanced grammar concepts are interwoven into the reading comprehension quizzes and the writing projects. The classes seem engaging and fun (I did not watch the meeting recordings but my daughter always reported that the classes were fun)!  I felt the homework load was kind of heavy for a supplemental class (as the course does not replace your child's regular language arts curriculum), but my daughter did all of her work without much complaint and says she learned a lot from the class and wants to continue taking AOPS language arts classes in the future, so that in and of itself is sufficient endorsement of the class for me!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 9:12 PM, CWright said:

1.5 years late to the game, but my daughter just finished one semester of AOPS' online honors 4th grade language arts class. I have to say, despite the high price ticket, the course is very impressive! Moreover, my daughter, and (from the sounds of it) most of her classmates, thoroughly enjoyed the course and want more! That said, the course is quite advanced and rigorous for the grade level AOPS pegged it at. The class projects were 1) A subtly persuasive play and 2) a time travel livestream of a historical research topic (they got to choose from three options and research material was provided). My husband and I both went through public school systems (my daughter is homeschooled and advanced in both reading and language arts according to assessment tests) and we were a bit awed by the writing projects. I would place the writing projects at middle school level. There's quite a bit of reading involved as well. Reading comprehension is through online quizzes. Vocabulary and advanced grammar concepts are interwoven into the reading comprehension quizzes and the writing projects. The classes seem engaging and fun (I did not watch the meeting recordings but my daughter always reported that the classes were fun)!  I felt the homework load was kind of heavy for a supplemental class (as the course does not replace your child's regular language arts curriculum), but my daughter did all of her work without much complaint and says she learned a lot from the class and wants to continue taking AOPS language arts classes in the future, so that in and of itself is sufficient endorsement of the class for me!

Thank you for posting your experience; very interesting! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 7:12 PM, CWright said:

Hi, I am considering enrolling my 5th grader. Do you think he would benefit, given it is middle of the year?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Atlas said:

For our DD we tried Athena, G3, AOPS LA and finally Integritas. I would say Athena, G3 and AOPS LA were more like entertainment for my DD. In my view Integritas is the most valuable one with infinite shelf life. 

Who gets second place?

3 hours ago, Atlas said:

The other three are all the same because the type of output in those classes is why I consider them entertainment for my DD. 

So you found Integritas' expected output to be of a higher quality than the others? Have you tried other, more traditional course providers like CLRC, TPS or Lantern English?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 7:48 PM, LoveForLearning said:

Hi, I am considering enrolling my 5th grader. Do you think he would benefit, given it is middle of the year?

The sessions are staggered throughout the year so you can enroll in any open session. Each grade level is split into 2 semesters so it's easy to enroll in only one semester.

• 5 months later...

this is a late review….but later is better than never I guess?

We just finished AoPS virtual academy language arts 5A and 3A, and are going to move forward 5B & 3B.

Both kids love the classes. Not sure how much it can replace the “traditional” curriculum (we are immigrants and have never attended US k-12), but for sure it’s a fantastic supplemental course.

One of the writing projects of G3 is an essay to convince the jury if Socrates is guilty or not, while another writing project is to create a myth that includes the elements of a typical myth. G5 projects is to ask the student, as a detective, to investigate and write a investigation report. Overall we are happy about the classes.