Menu

The Mozart Effect

Amber in AUS

Oh -- another really great supplemental resource is the Classical Kids collection. They have semi-fictional stories relating to a certain composer set to the music of that composer (Vivaldi's Ring of Mystery, Beethoven Lives Upstairs, Mozart's Magical Vogage...etc). I say "semi-fictional" because facts about the composers are woven into the main fictional story. My dc love these CD's and we have found them at our local library.

use the original Mozart CD's, although there are some clever adaptations on the Mozart Effect CD's.

I haven't read the book, but I have a somewhat extensive background in music (both piano and voice). I think it's a great idea to expose your child to music early, and if they show an interest in an instrument, to start them on piano or violin or some other instrument.

However, what I have read about the Mozart Effect makes me wonder if some of the promises aren't a bit of a stretch. I do believe music helps to increase intelligence, but I tend to believe that that process happens more as the child learn the innumerable disciplines necessary to progress in music. For instance, learning to read notes is a form of literacy. With piano, you're following the bass and treble clef. This requires concentration and good hand-eye coordination. Learning and studying music theory requires one to think; higher levels of music theory can be almost as complicated as math. Learning to focus on technique, such as crescendos, diminuendos, fortes, staccato notes, etc., requires more mental focus and discipline. I believe that all of these elements and more help the child to build the necessary skills and discipline which they can then apply to other areas of their lives, such as learning to focus on doing their math or Latin correctly.