Menu

CLE Latin America course? Other textbook based social studies?

ktgrok

Anyone used this? My rising 6th grader is making noises about no wanting to do family style history anymore (which is fine with me), and she doesn't like open ended "what do you think...." type questions. She will discuss things with me, but when it comes to written work, she wants factual questions and answers. Partly this may be her personality (she likes math, with right and wrong clearly distinguished, lol) and partly that she's a bit shy about her opinions, and partly she prefers answering fill in the blank, short answer stuff where she can copy any hard words from the textbook, because she is dyslexic. 

She says she doesn't want to do American History, which is well what most stuff her age is for. Latin America sounds sort of interesting to her, and she is interested in learning spanish, so that might all work well together. We also live in an area with a lot of people from Latin America, so could do restaurants with some different cuisines, etc. 

But I'm open to other textbook based ideas. I thought first of Oak Meadow, but it is SO wordy, and writing heavy I think...not so dyslexic friendly. She reads on grade level, but it takes a bit longer and I am guessing takes more mental energy than a non dyslexic, so heavy reading and writing is not what we are going for. I want to really work on her writing next year as its own thing - rather than in the context of content subjects. CLE is short lessons and matter of fact. We can and would add in some videos, and other books as well to beef it up as needed. If she does that I may have my rising 3rd grader do their social studies as well, or we might do Bookshark with him, and she could listen in on any read alouds. 

Oh, and we are Christian, but evolution believing Christian, and not "America is the new Israel" Christian. I'd prefer not "Columbus was a great guy" stuff either. 

(when asked what she wants to learn about she says space. But we've already done TWO unit studies on Space, so even if I tried to make a history of asronomy course she'd probably have learned most of it already. So asking her what she wants to learn about wasn't too helpful.)

I dont know about CLE. I tend to kind of avoid Mennonite materials.

What about Notgrass Adam to us? Look at it, I'm not sure if it's too Christian for you. It would be straightforward non American history. It looks like they have alot of cultures in it.  https://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/history-and-geography/world-history-core-curricula/from-adam-to-us#

Abeka Old World History and Geography might fit too. They get pretty "America is a chosen landish" (but not really new Israel, if my memory serves) in the America ones, but Old world is just a plain survey of the Eastern Hemisphere. (Incedentally 6th grade is a survey of the Western Hemisphere.) It is creationist, but you could skip it or supplement it. It has a consumable map book and straightforward text questions to answer. It is colorful and not hard to read.     https://www.rainbowresource.com/category/157/Abeka-History--and--Geography-Grade-5.html 

10 hours ago, countrymum said:

I dont know about CLE. I tend to kind of avoid Mennonite materials.

What about Notgrass Adam to us? Look at it, I'm not sure if it's too Christian for you. It would be straightforward non American history. It looks like they have alot of cultures in it.  https://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/history-and-geography/world-history-core-curricula/from-adam-to-us#

Abeka Old World History and Geography might fit too. They get pretty "America is a chosen landish" (but not really new Israel, if my memory serves) in the America ones, but Old world is just a plain survey of the Eastern Hemisphere. (Incedentally 6th grade is a survey of the Western Hemisphere.) It is creationist, but you could skip it or supplement it. It has a consumable map book and straightforward text questions to answer. It is colorful and not hard to read.     https://www.rainbowresource.com/category/157/Abeka-History--and--Geography-Grade-5.html 

oh my goodness! I'm not sure if I forgot they had middle school textbooks, or I forgot that 6th grade is middle school, but I'm glad you reminded me! I think that might work really well, actually. Like I said, for her and her older brother, it is more about cultural literacy than anything. And Notgrass (other than that elementary book) is good at that. Plus, there is an audio version of the textbook she can listen to as she reads - great for a dyslexic and anyone who struggles with names. I like the timeline exercises a lot as well - and the mapwork seems clear. We would perhaps switch up some of the literature....not sure on that. But for history, that might work well. 

• Thanks 1