Menu

Dimensions Math not “authentic”

blendergal

I belong to a Facebook group for homeschoolers who use the many different flavors of Singapore Math. It’s run by a former classroom teacher, so I guess that figures in. She often makes sideways comments about Dimensions, and she recommends Math in Focus over Dimensions for grades 6-8 because she says MIF is truer to the Singapore approach.

I understand that Dimensions is the product of another company, not Marshall Cavendish. But my searches of the WTM forum turn up lots of posts about how Dimensions is the better bet for kids who want to get algebra I done before high school.

Is there something less authentic about Dimensions? What’s the deal?

33 minutes ago, blendergal said:

I belong to a Facebook group for homeschoolers who use the many different flavors of Singapore Math. It’s run by a former classroom teacher, so I guess that figures in. She often makes sideways comments about Dimensions, and she recommends Math in Focus over Dimensions for grades 6-8 because she says MIF is truer to the Singapore approach.

I understand that Dimensions is the product of another company, not Marshall Cavendish. But my searches of the WTM forum turn up lots of posts about how Dimensions is the better bet for kids who want to get algebra I done before high school.

Is there something less authentic about Dimensions? What’s the deal?

I have the 7/8 books. *I* think it’s less explanatory than MiF. It’s dry, has less color and fewer visual gimmicks. It’s also more challenging (covers topics with more depth, complexity) and is faster. It presumes a solid foundation; it doesn’t provide simple reviews of old concepts. It constantly buildsThe teacher materials also presume a comfort and familiarity with advanced math topics that many US teachers don’t have so it may be harder to teach. It’s in no way less ‘authentic’. It covers all of algebra 1 and geometry by the end of 8th grade. I don’t know what MiF covers.

OP, your choice of the phrase "the Singapore approach" is a good one.  The content of Singapore math is essentially the same as is taught in classrooms around the world; it's the method of teaching that is different.  Teachers in the US value their professional freedom to introduce material the way they like, whereas Singapore teachers are given a particular way to teach each concept (including, as a very basic example, their concrete-pictorial-abstract approach).  Not just "teach them this" but "teach them in this manner".  I can't speak to whether it is true that Dimensions is "less authentic", but if that is true, I would expect it to be a comment on whether the teacher supports are present and whether the material is presented in the Singapore style, rather than a comment on how rigorous it might be.

I know which FB group that is. I used to belong to it, but I ended up leaving. The mods are anti-Dimensions in a way that became a bit confrontational when people would ask about using it. 

I have used several levels of Dimensions and found it to be very thorough. This year I used all of level 6 with my 11 year old, as well as parts of 7 and 8 with another child. My son who completed level 6 is currently doing a couple of chapters in AoPS Prealgebra and will start AoPS Intro to Algebra next, so I would say it prepares children very well for high school math. 

Edited by librarymama
  • Like 1

Thank you for this perspective! It’s so helpful to hear what sort of sequences other families have used. This child is young for his grade and pretty average in terms of math skills/interest. I can’t see him doing AoPS, but I don’t want to make a choice for middle school that limits his options later. Planning for 6th grade has caused me to have all kinds of doubts I didn’t have before! 🙃

Thank you too to Sneezyone and caffeineandbooks for helping me think this through. 

• Like 1